1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing my ignorance. Dirtbike vs SM

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Dec 8, 2016.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Oh, I see. I misread the article. It says Husky's are either plated or red sticker, not both.

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Yes, legality is important as the dirt riders I know have been getting tickets from rangers for riding fire roads on untagged bikes.

I dont see myself doing a hare scramble but probably some single track.

likely doing some (paved) track with it. How hard is it to get a techable (bellypan) for an SM. I assume any engine guards would have to come off to fit a pan on.

And swapping to dirt mostly in the fall to spring times ( that seems to be the trend around here)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That changes things.
    I can't begin to understand all the hoops that one might have to jump through in CA for legalizing a dirtbike, particularly a 2T.

Check out BajaDesigns...they're CA based and hardcore offroaders, plus they make the best lights in the business. They'll also know who to contact for bigger alternators, etc. if they don't have 'em themselves.
    Offroad LED, Dual Sports Kits, LED & HID Lighting | Baja Designs
    It's about the best start as any for gathering info.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The DRZ is quite possibly the most under rated bike out there. It works well in both S and SM trim. I would say at 80% pace in the dirt it is more fun than a MX bike as it is so plush. It is more than capable for single track. Pipe, cams, carb and big bore kit get the power to a decent level. And they have a cult following over on Thumpertalk so you can always find the info you need. The only thing I did not like was top speed was kinda low. Being a rolling pylon at 85MPH on a TX freeway is not much fun...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, top speed ain't all that - especially when you're my size. GPS indicated 90 with the motard rims and gearing on it, about 10mph slower on full knobbies with more off road gearing. Also knobbies suck at top speed on big sweeping turns waiting for it to fall over from the center to the side knobs :crackup:

And the seat sucks after just 15-20 min on the interstate. Gel padded bicycle shorts helped tons.

6. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

The saddle swap is mandatory imo for the DRZ. Oem is terrible. I used the Seat Concepts kit. About $90 if I remember right. Makes a huge difference.

I ran taller then stock gearing forever in SM mode, (16-41. stock is 15-41. in S mode, its currently 14-43). Even offroad in some pretty narly chit a couple times on Pilot Powers no less(but it was dry). Down hill on good pavement...after about a mile...full tuck..it would do an indicated 109mph. Prolly more like 100-102mph in reality tho. Stock engine with the 39 FCR carb.

SM Gap trivia.. The longest uphill-ish sorta-straight (called "Locals straight") at the Gap when getting the absolute best drive unto it..the SM Z (with Goldspeed dot slicks) showed 79-80 indicated every single lap. Doing the same drive out (w Ntec slicks) the 07 750 with a calibrated speedo, would do a true 120-122mph thru there every lap.

7. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

Fisher can fix your seat problems. I sent mine off and had the back of the seat widened. It is really comfortable now and the front of the seat is still narrow so you can stand comfortably and get your knees around the tank.

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have had 3 DRZ400s, E off-road, S dual sport and the SM motard. Ran the piss out of all 3 with never a problem from any of them. Very solid built bikes. Little on the heavy side but a very good motorcycle regardless.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool, I sold mine long ago and have the Hyper now but that's a good source for anyone doing a dirt/dual sport to SM setup.

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I have looked pretty hard at a SM for use simply because they are supposed to crash really well and the long travel suspension might actually work on these bumpy TX tracks lol.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

My modded DRZ-SM handed alot of 1000's their ass on the Cresson short course. It was alot less fun at TWS though...

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Imagine if you had a 450!

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Sadly for me the bike was not the limiting factor. :(
    I would have spent quite a bit more money for a little more speed in the straights and no more speed in the corners.

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

15. joec

joec brace yourself

SM is actually just as technical as any other form of motorsport. If you think swaping wheels and brakes and adjusting the shock is all there is to setting up a suoermoto youd be wrong. All the fast rigs have qs/launch control/blipppers/clutchless etc....

For messing around the street, fine. But as was already mentioned, imagine pushing hard on something with 12" of front suspension travel. Lol. But damned its fun.

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

17. SoCal1000

SoCal1000 Will work for tires

I have a CA plated KX500 with a Baja Designs kit. Currently set up as a dual sport but may get around to getting a SM setup.

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

SM rims/tires are about $1500, oversize brake rotor/caliper bracket, street legal conversion kit, modified bodywork, etc....

It takes about $2500 to convert a dirtbike to a SM in my research. I was looking at SM'ing my new '13 WR450, but i'll probably just get a KTM 690 or hyper or the like.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're talking racing - absolutely. Especially a real SM race with pavement and dirt sections. For the street it's wheels and that's about it. :D

joec likes this.