1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for my first year

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by BryantR, Nov 28, 2016.

1. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Decided with a gentle nudge from a friend to come race with you guys. I've never raced and would like to do the WERA race school to get my license. Seems like the most cost/time effective route. Plus extra track time before my first race can't hurt. So my question is, do you do race school the week of most races? If not, what track near Lexington, KY do you have race school? I'm trying to get my ducks in a row, getting race plastics for my bike (KTM 625 SMC) and safety wiring everything this winter. I'll probably steer clear of tracks with long straightaways since I'll be on a supermoto.

2. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

You're probably looking at Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio for the closest. "Close" is a relative term in road racing. Anything inside of 6 hours away is considered relatively close.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And don't worry about straights, I've seen WR450's win races the thumpers are legal for.

Check the yearly schedule (it will be updated as the season gets closer too) and look for anything with an rs after it.

4. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I might just try clubman novice at the first track that's close enough with a race school. I'll have my eyes peeled for the 2017 schedule.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Thanks! Looks like Talledaga 4/22-23 is my best bet so far.

7. Jacklyn

Jacklyn Member

HEY!!!!!!

I'm in Lexington too, also preparing for my first year. Literally doing all the same stuff you are (fairings, safety wiring, etc.). I'll be on my R3. We should get in touch and carpool too a race school, because I'll need to do that too. Its always cheaper going with a buddy. message me.

Cheers!

8. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Nice! I'll shoot you a message. We may even end up racing each other (clubman novice?) Seems like a popular category for sumos and R3's alike. I'll shoot you a message.

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Super moto.... Talladega..... First time..... It's a no Brainer.... Hope to see you there!

Shenanigans and Phl218 like this.
  10. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Hope that's not sarcasm! Haha, don't know a lot about the track. Just what I've seen on Youtube.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No Sarcasm at all.... Its a blast of a track with all bikes.... Come join the fun and a great weekend!!!

BryantR likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

yup! and it's grippy. except full lean on DOT's in that 180 left-hander at the far end. there is s slick spot where the rear comes out on a slick and the REAR COMES OUT on a DOT as i learned last year.

welcome to the madness

BryantR likes this.
  13. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Sounds fun to me!

14. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

I am in Lex area as well. If you guys need any help on bike prep...send me a PM. I am up in Georgetown but work in Lex. and am there often. Welcome to the addiction.

BryantR likes this.
  15. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Thanks! I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, so I think I'll be fine with mine. It's a treat when I get to work on my own stuff. What class/classes do you run?

16. Jacklyn

Jacklyn Member

I could always use help on bike prep!! lol definitely not an aircraft mechanic I'll be reaching out for sure

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Central KY Motosports is owned by a WERA racer and at least one of the mechanics is a former racer too. If you're looking for parts or advice or help they'd be a good resource.

I also live in Georgetown and work in Lexington. I'd be glad to share a beer sometime this offseason and help answer any of the questions you've got about what it's like to race. I've probably got some Bridgestone take offs I'd give away if that would help you get out there.

18. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

I go to Central KY for parts too. Good guys and they do very good on prices.

I'll probably just run my Pilot Power 2CTs until i figure out if i want to invest in slicks. You don't happen to have 110/70-17 and 160/60-17 do you? I'd be up for a beer and getting a better idea of what to expect. Would be cool if we could get a few people together.

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Sorry if I missed it, but have you run track days before? I ran PP3s exclusively for two years at TDs and they are a great tire. If you're racing though, you'll probably want a race tire whether that's a DOT or a slick. You could obviously run just fine at a safe pace on PPs, but if you get sucked into following someone on a sticky tire...

Take this from a guy who compromised putting a race tire on the front (good call!) and keeping a TD tire on the rear (not so great call!) for my first race.

20. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Mpusch-nope never done any track days. I suppose I should look into getting some race tires, and tire warmers, and a generator. I feel really comfortable on my bike with these tires. But now that you mention it I could see getting riding them well beyond their limits if I got sucked into trying to keep up with someone on race tires.