1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oakland Warehouse Fire

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Fair points of course. Pavilion would have been in the middle of a 5 acre field. Nothing near it. Not even a tree. That's what pisses me the fuck off though. They make ZERO consideration for any mitigating factors.

BTW I completely agree with you that most of the new construction these days is complete and utter shit in almost every way. I always get a laugh at these people on those home buying TV shows that want new construction. It's usually the woman. They don't realize there's a reason the 100+ year old house is still standing strong and that new one they're looking at will be lucky to make it to 50.

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

We live in throw away houses. Just like we buy throwaway belongings.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, my house was built in the 1870's, stone foundation's 2.5 ft. thick, full dimension lumber. Probably still be here long after I'm gone.

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My house was built in 2007. 2,800 square feet of pure dog shit.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I disagree. (dont watch any of those shows) If you buy from a tract builder... sure you're going to get "sub" work. Thats all those guys do is production (i.e. cheap builds). If you build a "custom" home... you will get long life quality. Most families dont really stay in homes "for life" or hand them down like 100yrs ago.
    The concrete isnt any better. Stones & mortar are the same. Codes and products are generally better. Windows & doors are far better. Roofing is way ahead from 100yrs ago. Electrical... way better. Waterproofing? Eons better.
    Id say the only thing that isnt better is the pest control...lol.
    If youre a modern man... a 1900s 28" wide entry door aint gona feel welcoming.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I had a home built this year. Full ICF and steel truss construction. Pretty certain it will outlast some outdated POS from last century.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Go home. You're drunk.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only if the fire Marshall made you encase all those steel trusses in 2-hr fire rated drywall, cuz, you know, steel is highly flammable.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

True, far more flammable than 100 year old wood. Less structurally sound as well.
    In fact, I'm going to go throw a couple pieces of steel on the fire right now, no need for chopped wood.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Use heat treated, it burns better.

brex likes this.
  11. joec

joec brace yourself

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-bell-foundry-20161205-story.html

This is the pos who owned the building. Another friend had his rented garage raided by the dea, mentioned in the article..

http://www.citypaper.com/bcp-blog-15118-20130109-story.html

Strangely enough, the club sonar was a few blocks from my old shop. A bunch of his employees lived at the warehouse. Threw huge after show parties there with the band's playing that played at the club. Fire marshall shut them down. Hr from bad brains lived there too.

The guy had a plane and he was flying to central america and Mexico and was bringing back loads of cocaine and pot. There was so much coke running around that building it was crazy..

Fire marshall walked in, threw everyone out. Take what you can carry. 2 blocks from me. On Tuesday.

People do the same shit in their homes. The only difference is they are less likely to have the fire marshall come bang on their door.

I've spent my share of time living illegally in artist warehouse spaces. Never in a gigantic mess. I've also rented apartments that definitely had some really sketchy shit.

I've made life long friends, was introduced to motorcycle racing, and had some of the most fun I've ever had, all with, and through, knowing people doing the same exact thing. Living illegally I wouldn't trade that time of my life for anything..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  12. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I can recognize the sarcasm (just) but research fire effects on those materials and you will be surprised. Not uncommon for a wooden member to char to a degree and retain enough integrity to bear it's load. Steel can easy heat to the point it will no longer carry it's dead load.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The sarcasm is from a friend's spancrete garage with a steel beam running through it being flagged by the building inspector for not having the beam wrapped in drywall...

Are you gonna walk inside a spancrete lidded garage after a fire that was hot enough to affect the integrity of a 14" web steel beam?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm a big fan of acetylene and magnesium. ;)

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You ever notice that sarcasm comes between sanctimonious and shithead in the dictionary? Interesting ain't it?

In Your Corner and joec like this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who taught you to read?

And the dictionary is on the second shelf. You've been warned about standing on the cat. :Poke:

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not all of them but when I can walk in and go oh @@#$ then it needs to stop.

joec likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

Curious as to why the time change? Not joking as I am likely to build in a couple years and have no issue exceeding code :beer:

19. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

A few things:
    1- Natural materials burn slower than synthetics.
    Everything in our homes is plastic these days, where 30 years ago it was all natural wood and fibers.

2- the sheer amount of crap we keep in our homes. There is a ton of fuel to burn.

20. sheepofblue

So I am screwed LOL well except the Sheltie hair, that is a natural fiber