1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop tires wtf... lol

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mechanize, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Mechanize

Mechanize Well-Known Member

Mounting a q3 on a kawi rim. always have trouble with only this tire/rim combo and getting the bead to seat but this time its worse.

Anyone know what the true max tire pressure is before the damn thing explodes? I have 85psi in the tire right now and the beads will NOT pop. Rim is clean, tire lubed properly... I've attempted to remount with tire in different position, used straps... :mad:

2. Leave it in the sun for an hour. I've gone over a 100 to mount some bridgestones. That tire is one of the easiest to mount though. Bridgestones are the hardest...

3. ped

ped Banned

Pffffft 85psi

4. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

put it in the sun or wrap a warmer around it...Kawi rims are a pain I own two....

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Angled Valve stem??? If so take the core out and fill with air....

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

210, 211 whatever it takes

BOBBY THURBON and jrsamples like this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Use that lighter fluid flame technique thingy....works like a charm :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I've had that same problem with that same combination. Also the Dunlop race n-techs or whatever they are too. Had to put a warmer on it and still took a lot of pressure.

Now..putting Pirellis' on Suzuki rims ... no tire machine needed. Why can't they all be like that....haha

regularguy likes this.
  9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That is weird. I haven't seen one that tough. Lots of lube and tire warmers always worked for me. 50 psi is as much as I did, but not that particular rim.

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

my record on a car tire was 165psi. just make sure your inflator has a long hose so u can shield yourself.

keep breaking the bead opposite where it wont pop and lube the wheel too.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Insanity. I'd have took that one off, set it on fire in the street, and made a Somali road block.

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

tire warmer or sun. when i sold michelins they were a pain too

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The valley on Kawi rims are particularly steep. Little lube and a hi flow filler chuck will do it, but they take more than most to seat regardless of what tire you're mounting.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IIRC, it was a 19" run-flat tire on a new-ish Corvette. so the tire was built like a tank and no one was surprised it took that much pressure.

15. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

I have went well over 100psi on a few 300's that wouldn't seat...with 50' of airline and a brick wall between me and the tire

16. Mechanize

Mechanize Well-Known Member

Its only a kawi/q3 combo I have issues with. Its not an angled stem. There is no sun right now, its Pittsburgh lol. Tried putting it next to a 30000btu heater though for 2 days and it didn't do a thing. Nice to see that 85psi isn't that high though. Just wish someone out there actually felt like experimenting and tested the limit. Nice to know where it is. Thanks for the replies!

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Ahhh, the good old days of techs over airing tires and the resulting pieces stuck in the walls and ceilings of the shop while all work stops and looks. Good times.

emry likes this.
  18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Seems like you are in the perfect position to test. :) I have used up to line pressure, 120~150 with out issues on hard to seat tires, no valve core of course. Inflate fast with lots of volume. But I have always made sure a wall was in between me and the tire too.

I have done the starting fluid thing, when all else failed. :clap:Everyone likes fireworks!

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, put a big wall between you and the tire, or put it in a cage and DONT stand near either face of the wheel.

20. edshank

edshank Active Member

Last time I mounted a q3 on a Kwai front I had trouble popping the bead. I had to remove the valve core and use more pressure. Not sure how much pressure but probably between 100-125. It didn't occur to me that the tire could explode. I was standing over the tire like a dummy. Safety third!