1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing with a unibody SUV

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Nov 7, 2016.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Trying to avoid buying a pickup when I really don't NEED one aside from towing to and from the track ~ 5k lbs. I do like the idea of getting larger/nicer enclosed trailers at some point.

I'd rather not drive a Tahoe/Expedition, but like the idea of an X5 or similar. Anyone tow regularly near capacity (6k lbs on the X5) with something like this? Is it hugely different than pulling the same load with a modern 1/2ton pickup?

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

X5 Deisel.
    VW Toureg Deisel
    Toyota Land Cruiser (gonna be my next ride)

I'm sure there are lots of others that will do the job. Ford Explorer Sport w Ecoboost V6?

3. nlzmo400r

I like 200 series LCs, but they're way too expensive for what they are in my eyes and offer no real benefit over a newer similarly priced Tahoe unless you're going over landing.
    I honestly don't mind the idea of a 1-2yr old 1/2ton pickup, but if I'm spending $40k-ish, I feel I should consider other vehicles that would be better/more comfortable/better on fuel for the day to day. Hence my looking at X5s, Cayennes, Jeep GCs etc. Just wanted some feedback as to what these were like if towing 10ish times a year at their max capacity.

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

It is just my humble opinion that a 6k lbs trailer will beat the shit out of any of the above mentioned SUVs.

V5 Racer likes this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep..... Wheelbase is something to take in equation as well.....

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

VW Touareg / Cayenne / Q7 is probably your best bet for a mid-sized SUV tow vehicle. People tow up to 6.5k with them for long distances no problem. Just watch the tongue weight as it is 700lb max on the 2011 and up. No stability issues at all with just 8 to 10% on the tongue. Thank the amazing electronics, these things are stable as a rock towing 24' trailers. The 2010 an older ones tongue weight is 770lb, so a bit better. The air suspension is the bomb, but only available on older Tregs and hard to find at that. Much easier to find on the Cayenne and Q7 in all years.

The diesel is best, but you are taking your chance on how the scandal winds up.
    The gas turbo 6 in the Q7 and V8 in the Cayenne S are fine, but will eat a lot of fuel.
    The gas V6 can tow 5000lb, but not ideal if you want to run 75 mph plus or climb big mountains. The newer ones with the 8 speed automatic are better in this regard, as it is overbuilt in a big way and gets better mileage.

Get a good warranty on these as the electronics, high pressure fuel pumps, DEF tanks, etc. fail and are expensive to fix. The DEF tanks / heaters just had the factory warranty extended to 10/100 so that was good news. Not sure how that applies to buying used.

I looked at the X5, but the fact you had to cut a hunk out of the bumper to mount a hitch didn't instill me with confidence that it was really designed to tow serious weight.

7. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Cayennes capacity is 7700 pounds.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Same with all the Touareg models. Some of the Q7s are a little less I think. The numbers I was quoting above are the tongue weights, which are light for the rated towing capacity.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

i used to tow the 17ft toy hauler with the cayenne S, prolly around 6k loaded. air suspension.

it did the job "fine" but you could tell it was a lot.
    ended up getting a truck, a WD hitch and I am rolling all comfy now.

the 6x12 with 3 bikes and generator was no problem at all though. still thirsty (@80-85) but rolling good. center of gravity and overall height was also lower on the 6x12. might have coped well with an 8.5x17 as well... the cayennes are said to tow car trailers well ... so here ya go. and if you need a little more capability, the panamera tows 8800lbs. ;)

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

4 Runner should do that hauling.

11. nlzmo400r

I'm set on something a little 'nicer'. Toyota resale means late model 4runners are stupid expensive for what they are. I like things that depreciated faster lol. I know on paper any of these will work, I'm just curious how they feel subjectively pulling that kind of weight.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have a Grand Cherokee. A WD hitch allows the tow rating to be in that 7K weight range but I'll be damned if I ever have to tow that much with it. Maybe in a single case of emergency necessity but certainly not as a plan for regular use. I'd have to be outta my mind...

How would it feel? I can only imagine as I've never gone there, maybe half the rated capacity. If I were maxed out and make an error or avoidance maneuver (gas/steering/brakes) at speed, it could potentially all be over. (Yeah, crossing the street with your groceries can get ya killed too, but it's not like you can't jettison the twinkies and sodas for an out.) That constant vigilance would make even a short trip miserable. Why torture yourself?
    Long trip? I'd plan it as an one way, never to return, cuz hell is where I'd be headin'...

I have a CDL...84,000 fucking lbs., no problem. Why? The vehicle is built for it. And, yeah, you can seriously get jammed up in a big rig cuz of the dipshits, but those rigs can still be maneuvered at speed.
    A mid-size SUV, maxed out? I'm thinkin' not so much. Not sayin' it can't be done, just sayin' it won't be me doin' it...not even once.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

2008 Grand Cherokee diesel. towed a few times near its max weight rating. No issues what so ever. rock solid. Mind you, it was a 7x14 trailer loaded with 5 military generators so its surface area was not large, just heavy. Towed Cincinnati, OH to Toronto in one shot, no issues.

towed 4 of the same generators from Mechanicsburg PA to Toronto through the hills of PA, once again no issues.

Gas mileage was mind blowing 11.5l/100km. Gas Pick-ups that can tow 7000lbs cant touch that number empty and with a tailwind.

fuck yea diesel!

14. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

If your trailer setup is 5K or less, consider a 2nd or 3rd Gen Highlander with the Towing Package. The Highlander will tow 5K all day with no issues. A trailer brake setup will take a bit of effort, but worth it.
    Also the 3rd row AC is a nice bonus.

15. Ive towed a 6x9 open trailer with 2 bikes in the Turbo Bacon lots of times, even 12hr one-way trips to Pensacola to pick up the new race bikes from D&D Cycles. I don't even know/feel the trailer is back there. It pulls great, still accelerates hard (400hp, 400ft/lbs) and gets good gas mileage on the interstate (7spd trans).

FWIW - I have even hooked up the 8.5 x 18 x 9'6" interior height enclosed trailer and pulled it down the road and back. I put it in "offroad mode" so it would air up the suspension and increase the ride height a few inches before I hooked it up. I was surprised at how easily it pulled it. I wouldn't want to do it for more than a few minutes though; I would never think about using it to go to the track. It isn't pulling it I would be worried about, it is stopping and handling etc that is the concern.

16. Chango

Chango Something clever!

In today's horrifically litigious society the maximum weight rating provided by the manufacturer has to be padded enough for the complete idiots on the road, so someone who knows what they are doing should have no trouble at all pulling a properly loaded trailer at the "maximum" rating. The vehicle is designed for it just like the 18 wheeler is designed for 84,000 pounds.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  17. nlzmo400r

Thanks for the insight. Another thought; anyone have any experience towing with something like a Jeep GC (unibody) vs LR4 (BoF)? They have very similar tow ratings and size etc. Curious if the ladder frame makes that big of a difference seat of the pants.

18. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Towed 7x14 trailer with my 04 GC V8 limited for a few years. It did the job, didn't have all the air suspension and all the new shit but did ok.
    Bought Tundra to give GC a brake and difference in towing, stopping etc was massive.

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Just for fun, Google Can Am Rv towing setups in Google images. Then tell me how nothing but a truck can tow 5000+lbs.
    They have people who have towed for years with unit people here would say is impossible and dangerous. And some of them have put on 100,000miles doing it. Good setup makes all the difference.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This. My e350 diesel van has a GCWR of 20k lbs. and is rated for a max trailer weight of 10k lbs., I tow a toy hauler that weighs around 5k empty. Even empty it works that van, no way would I want to use something smaller. I think some of the people who claim "can't even tell it's there" need their butt calibrated, just about any trailer makes itself known to the tow vehicle. The ongoing stress is indeed what it's all about, too. That constant attentiveness to every little motion wears you out.

Phl218 likes this.