1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roadracing in bed with the enemy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pilotx1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

3. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

In for the comments. I too am curious how a racing org is working with a TD org to offer racing.

4. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

I raced at the N2 endurance race this year at Pittsburgh that was helped out by WERA. Great event and well ran, hope this won't be any different. Gonna see about making it.

5. Seems pretty simple to me. WERA is running the "race" and STT has the track scheduled. Novel concept in business but you competitors can work together to benefit the people paying. I think you will see a lot of track day guys try this event. Richard from STT is a racer who likes endurance racing and is not some money grubbing person who has to have every bit of market share. I see this as a win win for both parties and I think STT was smart working with WERA due to there experience running races. I actually think you will see a lot of new "teams" in this race and it will expose a lot of people to some of the best fun you can have on 2 wheels. Endurance racing is a great way to expose people to racing.

ekraft84, TLR67 and BigBird like this.
  6. Exactly.

Richard Harris is one of the best dudes in any paddock. He heavily supports racing and racers, he also just so happens to own STT. He is all for the growth of the sport, if it means partnering with a race organization, so be it.

Not to mention he is damn fast on a motorcycle. He has done some AMA racing and if he decided to race WERA full time, there is no doubt he would finish the season with multiple Expert Championships.

drop likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

It was already done this year.
    see above.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Jason its bad blood with WERA and a trackday Forum..... On the BBS....... :Pop:

Being with STT for over 10 Years I have just sat back and laid low... I think this is a excellent opportunity for both parties as well as the general public who partake in our sport. I was happy to see Seans positive comments on his post as well as the future opportunities in partnering... Richard Harris has brought STT to a new and exciting level and adding a partnership with WERA simply reinforces that...

Now get the F away from CCS and come to WERA!!!!!!!!!:crackup:

Phl218, G Dawg, ekraft84 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, never has been.

Track days take business away from racing - that's a simple fact. But you have to remember it takes business away from groups that used to be the only way a rider could get on track. It's not like they're stealing customers, they're offering something different that a lot of customers prefer (were I to ride on track I'd be one of them too). It's not a malicious thing and it means we have to change how we do business to stay in business. Not a bad thing and it's never caused any bad blood between us and trackday orgs. We work with anyone and everyone to get riders on the track - no matter what level from trackdays to pro racing.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Anyone attending the JMDCHF trackday at Putnam on Nov 31st?

11. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We were but the resurface job it's getting has caused it to be canceled.

12. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the particulars for the NOLA event (licensing requirements, etc...)?

13. Gonzo523

Gonzo523 Active Member

Good question. It looks like the STT lic is a must? Is this enough for the Sunday endurance, or will I have to buy a weekend pass from WERA? So that's 65 for the STT license and 99 for Sunday morning practice. Then 299 for the endurance race if we pre-register.

I like the creative thinking. Kudos to both parties involved!

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Interested to see how this plays out. Down here in FL, we had a dispute with Track Management, and race organizer turn into two competing series. Both have suffered for it. I am all for any racing expansion, but it hasn't worked out that way.

This appears to be a little different and I hope it works out for the best.

PMooney Jr. and TurboBlew like this.
  15. I think this is more of two companies that have a natural competition and not all the clientele is the same i.e. some people will never want to race, just do a track day here and there or some racers hate track days unless they absolutely have to for practice. I see this as knowing there is only a certain amount people on the track and its exposing racers to a well run track day company and track day people to awesome racing. As Mongo stated the business has changed and adapting is necessary. I think its good that STT and WERA listened to Rodney King and are getting along.

TLR67 likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

especially when racer "safety" is the issue.

omatter34 and Gino230 like this.
  17. Good point and post.

There are people who have no desire to race, and it could be because they have never tried it. There are also people who have had bad track day experiences in the past (with other less organized/professional TD orgs), and therefore have a negative imagine about track days as a whole.

So this is an opportunity to expose racing to people who might not otherwise be exposed to it, and it is a possibility to expose racers to a quality ran track day event by a great org.

There are no losers in this scenario, it can only help, regardless of which "side" you are on.

I think it is a great thing for all involved.

TLR67 likes this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

N2 and WERA had a great WERA National/Endurance last year together. One of the most fun events I've done. Richard (STT) was there and I know shared similar sentiments.

Fingers crossed there's some sort of partnership, multi-round "series" for 2017. I believe it would be beneficial for everybody involved, who has a passion for the sport.

19. I would like the record noted that sentence in the above post is in no way an admission that I agree with Broome on anything he says or does :)

20. :crackup:

:moon: