1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Pro help

Discussion in 'General' started by inpayne, Oct 27, 2016.

1. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

trying to reformat a MacBook Pro from college (bought late 2012)

I hold option and it doesn't give me the option to boot from the recovery disk, I try command + R during boot and it doesn't do anything either.

I'm not a computer wiz but I've done this before like 10 years ago on a PC. I figured it would just be step by step but I can't seem to figure this out.

Help please! Thanks!

2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Google says: Command + Option + R after the chime.

3. inpayne

Tried that. Does nothing as well.

4. inpayne

It's running OS X 10.5.8

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

something doesnt add up. 10.5.8 would imply a PowerPC-based Mac. u couldnt buy those in 2012 new and they were last sold in 2008 IIRC. if its PowerPC, just give it to Goodwill and buy something else.

6. inpayne

Here is the hardware overview.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): W8928QFJ66D

Hardware UUID: 32891745-85EF-5029-85B1-16E4F1881CD9

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

So it's intel based... I went to update... apparently I have to call apple to order a disk to upgrade to lion, so I can upgrade to El Captain.... -_-

7. inpayne

Actually scratch that... It was bought in 2009... Was given some false info.

Anyway so you were totally right on that. But either way it's intel not powerPC correct?

8. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

It's dual core and slow as crap with limited updating capabilities. Donate it to a school. Command+R doesn't work on it, requires a disc for that vintage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. inpayne

Damn.... thanks for the help.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

El Capitan is as far as you can go on that rig. Hold 'option' down when powering up, before the chime and see if that gives you an option to boot the recovery disk.

11. inpayne

Just gives me the one option to load up. Guess I'll need to call Apple to get the 10.6 disk which will allow me to update the the new system.

I figured I would put some more ram in it and upgrade the hdd with a solid state drive which should speed it up some. I don't want to buy a new laptop I hardly use this one. Just wanted it to work well enough if I wanted to use it.

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

God everything except the iPhones suck balls.

13. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

A 2009 will not boot into recovery unless you had 10.7 or newer installed. You will need an install disk to reload it for a machine that old. Usually you can go to an Apple store and they will restore it for you at no cost. They can Network boot it (Holding just "N" at boot), but that because they have a boot server for it to go to.

14. inpayne

I have a local "Apple Store" but it's not a actually Apple Store owned by apple next to my work. I'll see what they can do there or if they have the leopard disk in stock.

15. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I have a MacBook Pro circa 2008 (the first of the Al unibodies) and it still runs well. I've upgraded RAM and replaced the optical drive with an SSD drive. I think I'm running the current OS too. I think your rig still has some life in it.