1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the guys with dynos.................

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CarrMoto, Jun 29, 2016.

1. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Ha ha! And we could have been out getting food and beer the whole time!

2. CarrMoto

So after 10 years on the dyno I still can't believe how much time it takes on certain bikes to tune a carb properly on the dyno. It is not that it is all that difficult, its just time consuming. The age of the bike, the age of the fuel, and ethanol all makes things worse. Much, much worse.
    For example: A carb'd Ducati bike with no service records, has only has been run 150 miles in 5years, and customer doesn't know when it ran last, could easily run $2000 in parts and labor these days.
    Factor in that none of these bikes have exactly the same "custom" blend of parts either.
    It would be much less time if all the bikes were up to date on service and had the same mods.

3. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

Bike still has pair valve.

customer wants tune through his flashed ECU/woolich.. customer can FK off.

explaining to customer dyno numbers are just that and used for comparison.

customer asking if his sea level tune will work at 900' elevation when he rides out of town.

customer says his downloaded map is probably pretty close to being perfect.

customer modifying downloaded maps..

customer dumbfounded that i deleted his downloaded modified map before making first pull.

4. I'd give it a pull with the downloaded map to show him how off it was. Wouldn't you want to show a before and after as the numbers are relative to each other?

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the customer wanting to go through the Woolich program?

6. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Customer SHOULD FK off to another tuner that is willing to work for the money. Let me guess, you use Dynojet Tuning Link?

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I laughed too fucking hard at this post, I wish I could like it more than once.

CarrMoto likes this.
  8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Why do people with poor running bikes think that fixing the bike is included in the price of the mapping? There's no magic Dynojet wand that fixes your slipping clutch and intake leak while the bike's on the dyno, we have pull it off and put a mechanic on it.

While I'm ranting....why do people pay for a fueling module and a custom map but decide to cheap out when you tell 'em that they should really replace those old plugs and dirty air filer before the dyno time?

418 likes this.
  9. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

The same reason they'll put those knife blade levers on and chrome or carbonfiber triple tree covers instead of a new tire when the one on the bike is showing threads.

CarrMoto likes this.
  10. CarrMoto

Because they just don't get it.
    Its the same when people want to bring all their own parts to the shop then get all upset when you tell them the labor rate is higher under those circumstances. We just had a guy talking to our service writer who was wanting to supply all his own parts so we quoted him the higher labor rate. He hung up on our service writer while yelling into the phone, "Have your boss call me!" then proceeded to tell some of our friends and customers that he would never recommend our shop to anyone ever again and do whatever he could to drive business away from us. He seemed to be a very reasonable person. :D

11. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't charge higher labor rates for people who bring in their own parts. The ONLY difference is that if you bring me broken parts then you're paying twice for me to fix it AND you don't get a warranty on those parts your brought in.

emry likes this.
  12. CarrMoto

I wouldn't say either of us are doing it right or wrong, there is just no reason for customers to be excessively rude when someone is stating the policy professionally, whatever it may be.

13. CarrMoto

I think the NHTSA may have missed those knife blade levers. :whoosh:

14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying. But, would you bring your own steak into the local steak joint and ask the chef to cook it for you? Know what I mean?

Focker likes this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I guess I must be one of the good customers. Last time I sent a bike to the dyno (rejetting a bank of Mikuni RS's from 3500' elevation to 500' elevation) I took the bike and a full can of fuel and when I got the call that the bike was done I paid what was asked, thanked him, took my bike and the rest of the fuel and left.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  16. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

And then you get on the beeb and talk about that said customer...that's real professional.

I was that customer. Your service guy was rude as fuck on the phone, just like the guy you had working in service before him. Seems like a pattern.

And since you only are getting one side of the story or some kind of silly telephone "he said, she said" bullshit -- I didn't say at any time that I would drive business away from you or even try -- but I did say that if someone asked me where to take their bike, Indy wouldn't be mentioned. I don't have time to give a fuck about what goes on at your shop or who is going there to get whatever done.

I thought you've always been really cool in my book and I figured it was best to just keep quiet and remain amicable and just have service done elsewhere-- but now I think you're kind of a dick and really unprofessional. Maybe that's where your service guys get it.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Looks like this thread just went :Pop:

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Labor rates is almost always higher when you bring your own parts in. For a multitude of reasons. Don't get your jimmies rustled over it.

CarrMoto likes this.
  19. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

My jimmies aren't rustled about labor rates, Not at all -- I had dropped it and went elsewhere. They can have whatever policies they want.

Just sucks to see Matt running his mouth and painting the picture that I'm unreasonable and an asshole since he is getting all of the information second hand. He didn't hear the phone conversation, yet he implied he knows exactly what was said between myself and the parts/service guy.

20. CarrMoto

Hey, we deal with about 1,200 service customers a year. A very,very small percentage of them are excessively rude but I don't remember zeroing in on any one person or mentioning a name. I still haven't, that would be totally unprofessional.

helicopter99 likes this.