1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jorge Lorenzo Doesn't Wear An Airbag Suit - Melka, get in here....

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Oct 25, 2016.

1. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

This is something I find pretty interesting. Although all of his suits are branded with the Tech-Air Airbag branding, Lorenzo doesn't actually use an airbag suit.

I noticed that he didn't get all pumped up after his Motegi highside and I noticed his awkwardness in the press conference when a reporter asked about the airbag, but I didn't put it all together.

http://www.sportrider.com/motogp-did-lorenzos-airbag-deploy-in-motegi-crash?src=SOC&dom=fb

Dave Emmett actually noticed this over a year ago, and Neil Hodgson chimed in.

https://twitter.com/motomatters/status/644133677023277056

I guess I'm just confused as to why one of the worlds best motorcycle racers consciously chooses to expose himself to that risk. Maybe Melka is onto something when he says that people don't need airbag suits ;)

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Wonder why....makes him look so big and burley when its deployed :crackup:

[​IMG]

In any event it doesn't matter, next year he'll no longer have any choice about it since they are making airbag suits mandatory. And I'm assuming they need to be functional/activated as well lol.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

What was the round where it activated when he went through a quick chicane and he had to ride kind of easy while waiting for it to deflate?

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

5. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

I have know for 2 seasons that he won't wear it, not that he don't wear it. Pretty sure the liner was irritating a surgery and he had it removed and never went back to it.

6. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that he would not use it. Even though alot of people dislike him, he's got some huge balls.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. throwdown

That was back when he wore dainese.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

I guess most riders do then, since a majority don't have an airbag suit.

9. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

That Motegi get off made my back hurt

10. throwdown

In motogp? It seems like they all have something whether it's a D-Air system in an off brand suit, or a A*, or a regular Dair. Up until this post I had no idea he ran a Tech air suit sans airbag, but they all have huge balls for sure, that goes without saying.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

isn't motoGP mandating air suits for next year ?? i don't DIS-like them, i just find the cost for the typical club racer tough to justify.. not when they don't 100% ensure no clavicle break. the cost has come down IF you can fit in one off the rack.. get it if you can swing it, but there are really good NON-air suits out there for $1000+-
    I had 2 wicked high sides this year.. one a 3rd gear, one in FOURTH gear (nether were from lack of grip, one was dumb-ass out lap miscue on an early downshift and cold tire in a track day session, other was battling for win and clipped rear wheel of guy in front of me). no ambulance ride, didn't even send the suit in for repairs.. still wear it for practice..

that is all :)

12. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Dunlop would have stuck and not highsided you in 3rd or 4th gear...

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

LIES ! :)

14. I was slammed on my side last weekend from damn near vertical, exactly the same way I was back in 2009 when someone clipped my front wheel.

In 2009 I had a compound collarbone fracture. Last weekend I got up with my suit blowed up like the Michelin Man, bitching about scratches on the bike.

The reasoning and justifications are out there and widely known by teams/racers at every level. Bones don't care if someone is racing in WERA or MotoGP.

But i'm not going to get into all of it again. People can choose to wear them or not, doesn't affect me either way.

Gino230 and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Had to buddy

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

He's right Greg, with Dunlop's you'd never get going that fast before they landed you on your head.:D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I think most suits are using the D-Air system. I know Rev-It is using it. I don't know about Spidi. Dianese has made the system available to other manufacturers so that they can incorporate it into their suits.

18. throwdown

Yeah they do, and now Taichi is gonna start using the A* techair bag system in their suits.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm talking about most of the other riders... like me :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    throwdown likes this.
  20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

What specific suit do you have? How does it 'recharge' after deployment?