I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I have the 26 and 17 Glocks. Had to use the Grip Force Adapter thingie on the 17 (gen 3) before I liked the ergos. Makes the grip angle more 1911-ish.

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Used2B,
    You are the resident AR expert.....I need help.

Dude I know bought a Brand New Bushmaster a couple years ago. Never fired it, but got bored and camo painted it.
    Then tried to get the camo off recently to no avail.
    I legally purchased it for $100.
    Under all that paint is a brand new rifle.....how do I get the paint off?
    It has 4 coats of rustoleum, and 1 clear coat of Krylon. Under all that crap is a unfired/perfect rifle.

Paint stripper aerasol, Paint stripper gel, 24-hour soak in acetone, and carb-cleaner has hardly made a dent.
    Is there some kind of chemical I can just toss it into for a couple days, then hose it off?
    I am almost to the point of trying propane on the aluminum/steel parts. The Magpul plastic parts, I am at a loss on how to proceed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Media blasting? Maybe with walnut hulls?

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. SpeedyE

Will that damage the anodizing and parkerizing under the paint? I have a blast cabinet.
    I just dont want to disturb/damage the factory finish under the spray bomb :-/

5. SpeedyE

Aircraft stripper any better than paint stripper?

6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Just paint it black. Like new again :flag:

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. SpeedyE

:D:Putter::D

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Well that stock and handguard are worth about $50 combined, so maybe just get the receiver media blasted with someone who is familiar with aluminum and replace those parts?

Quicktoy and SpeedyE like this.
  9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've never taken paint off. But there's a refinishing forum at AR15.com thats dedicated toward this subject (camc, paint, etc).

Having said that, I'd prolly end up just painting it flat black and calling it a day.

Quicktoy and SpeedyE like this.
  10. Scotty87

I've taken powdercoat off with it. Pain in the ass tho, and I wouldn't use it on plastic.

11. Scotty87

Ruh-roh

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. SpeedyE

13. Scotty87

In with the quick edit, nice.

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just sand blast them down. You'll have to re cerakote the lower. Toss the Magpul furniture. It's seen better days. You can't remove the spray paint with out removing the black anodization.

15. SpeedyE

Thanks for the heads up :flag::beer::flag:

16. SpeedyE

Quick, yeah....I am queezy about the magpul plastic....I am beyond broke/down-on-my-luck currently, i am pretty much financially destroyed right now, so the thought of pitching the plastic is a hard pill to swallow, but I think you are right.

I may have to blast and parkerize the barrel and A-frame, probably be easier than trying/struggling to strip the paint.

The upper and lower is the real road-block....there is so much thick paint exterior/interior.
    If I blast the upper/lower, they are ruined. The anodizing is the strength, the armor covering the soft aluminum.
    Think of hard-anodizing/aluminum as an hard-boiled-egg. I thin/hard shell, covering something soft/weak. When that gets stripped, you have soft aluminum. The specs of the upper/lower are also dimensional changed.
    I like cerakote on metal, but always cringe when it comes to aluminum. When a cerakote applicator does an aluminum receiver, it may look nice, but what the customers' don't understand is they are left w/ an out-of-spec 'soft' receiver(s) coated in paint. Basically a stick of butter w/ a nice paint-job covering it.

The more I sit here and think, Imma take your advice and blast/park the bbl-assy, and pitch the plastic.
    The upper/lower/C-handle, i'm still at a loss.......

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You're not out. I sell stripped lowers for 120. You paid 100 and will have a little work. You broke even don't stress. If you're on a budget then keep the furniture and use until you can upgrade.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You're broke? Spray paint the whole thing flat black. When the next gun-grab panic sets in in a few months, sell that bastard for $3000 and pocket the cash.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. SpeedyE

:clap::crackup::crackup::crackup::clap:

20. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Seriously, what's wrong with this option? Flat black Krylon is by far the best option at this point. Do a few light coats, let it fully dry, and you'll never notice the difference.

-Or-
    Leave it as-is... It has a cool camo-patina look now.

SpeedyE likes this.