1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EBR is back....do you care???

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Mar 1, 2016.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Hopefully EBR keeps going. Some of you would be really upset if they weren't there for you to hate.

Funny how everyone is saying that no one would conceivably spend more money for less performance just because it's American-made. I feel like there's a brand in the cruiser market that's pretty successful with that approach.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Their customers have much lower standards of performance than the sportbike market.

Gorilla George and Robby-Bobby like this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

And over 100 years of marketing that platform...

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

After everything that has happened with the brand, why would a potential buyer that does anything close to their due diligence actually buy one?

Especially when there are so many quality alternatives for street bike from OEMs that haven't failed three or 4 times in the last few years.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That market isn't about performance. Even so, HD underachieves at every metric you'd use to quantify a cruiser, yet it still sells. Actually I'd argue that an Ultra is much worse at being a touring bike than the EBR is at being a sportbike, and they sell the hell out of them.

99% of sportbikes aren't purchased solely on performance. It may not win in WSBK, but there's no reason to believe that the EBR doesn't perform well enough to sell bikes.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

So is it marketing, or performance? I'm confused.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

How many times have well known European brands failed? MV, Triumph, Cagiva, Bimota, Husqvarna, I'm sure there are more.

People still buy them, but we should close the coffin on EBR after six years?

Hell, I'm a loyal KTM rider, and ten years ago you couldn't give me one. The company was bankrupt in the 90s.

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

What's gotta sting a bit is that even postmortem, EBR is still outpacing Suzuki in sportbike development.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you have spent a 100 years conditioning your target audience to happily accept the fact that they are shelling out top dollar for a turd then it's a bit of both.

11. Gonzo523

Gonzo523 Active Member

I had the chance to ride an EBR RX at one of our local tracks here in Texas. That thing is an eyeopening experience. In a good way. I want one. Hoping to sell off all of my Suzuki stuff and pick one up to campaign next year in the CMRA. I hate that the EBR caught such a bad rap. You really have to ride one to appreciate it. Yes, they can be finicky. But aren't all racebikes?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    5axis likes this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

Good point. So, think of EBR as KTM in the 90s. In 2030, if EBR does what KTM did, I'll take them more seriously.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good. I'll buy one and race ya. Then we'll reminisce about the good old days when bikes burned gas, tires were made of rubber, and men were men.

14. metricdevilmoto

Deal. Just imagine how bold the Suzuki graphics will be by then? The Hondas still won't have TBW, and the Ducati middleweight bike will be a 3.7 liter.

15. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

What demographic is that? The squids who terrorize Asians in their SUV's?

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:crackup:

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Shutup.

18. Yeah, I mean, I understand they are pulling out all of the marketing tricks they can muster. But when you have to try to play the patriotic card, that is a reach.

19. Nope.

There are many bikes that you can roll right off the showroom floor and immediately be competitive, that aren't very finicky at all.

Granted, the bike I chose to race this year is one of the most finicky bikes in the history of finicky bikes, so there is always that. But the 1299S aside, you can grab a 2016 R1, ZX10, BMW, R6, 675R, ZX6R, etc and get really close to a Podium contending setup in the matter of just a couple/few practice sessions, even without any aftermarket parts in some cases.

...of course, this is assuming you are a 5%'er. :D

20. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a 1190 SX. They are dirt cheap right now and I'm sure they would be a blast on the street. As long as you can keep you license.