1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 600RR set up (geometry)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JTRC51, May 29, 2014.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Hey guys, I know not too many of you run 600RRs but I love it :)

I was hoping some of you with track experience on the 07+ platform could help provide some suggestions on suspension set up (geometry) for my 07 600RR. I am running a TTX rear shock and Ohlins internals in the forks (springs, valving etc.). Bike shows great tire wear but it seems like it is not as sharp as it should be. I am running Michelin Power Slicks (purchased this year)

Is there a good set up for this bike? Right now I am at the 1st line on the forks (showing above the triple tree) which I think is 10mm. The TTX shock ride height adjuster is at it's lowes setting (the 2 nuts at the bottom of the shock) which I believe is 300mm eye to eye. Also, wheelbase is a factor I'm sure, any suggestions would be helpful too! I pm'ed Ed Who also :Pop:

Thanks in advance!

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive never run my RR very low (if you have the Ohlins actually as short as it can get). it wouldnt finish corners at the stock ride height with a larger rear tire, so i went higher on both ends. id have to check my notes, but im pretty sure the stock shock length is less than 300mm. so either u dont have your shock at the shortest setting or u measured wrong.

also, comparing front ride heights is easier if you measure from the center of the axle to the top of the lower triple. some cartridges are diff lengths, so the amount of fork above the top clamp isnt useful.

edit: yep, my stock shock measured at 292mm and the TTX comes at 295 +/- 6mm. are u really running it at 300mm?

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. JTRC51

It's very possible I measured wrong I suppose. You are correct in that it's 295+/- 6mm. I read that 1 full turn of the adj nut is = to 1mm. So I will start at the lowest setting and go from there. Is 300mm a good setting /starting point? My forks don't have a 25 or 30 mil cartridge kit rather re sprung and re valved internals so that length remained the same as stock.

If there is a good starting point that you have come to from trial and error that would be helpful. I have read forks flush work well also.

4. stangmx13

ya forks flush worked pretty good w/ stock cartridges. i dont know your tires, but i think 295mm would be a better starting point than 300mm for the shock.

5. dcemotorsports

dcemotorsports Well-Known Member

You have a message...

6. Im having the same issue, with the same bike, same year.. searching for a starting point.. 8mm fork protrusion from top triple, 298 eye to eye shock length. Any advice would be extremely helpful. thanks

7. JTRC51

My bike ended up at 296 eye to eye on the shock and fork was left at 10mm . Loved it and man was it an awesome handler!

Michelin slicks btw

8. Really? This is strange.. I feel like I'm under steering out of corners and flipping in chicanes is way to slow... The bike just feels really hard to ride.. What is your wheelbase and how are you measuring it? My stock axle blocks are at the 5th line back from the front (pivot shaft end) of the swing arm. I've noticed wheelbase seems to make the most drastic difference when move it around... Thanks -mike

9. JTRC51

Man, I sold that bike a while ago so I cannot remember. but I had a short wheelbase on it. It seemed to like a shorter wheelbase compared to my R6.

Michael vallante likes this.
  10. stangmx13

after another 1.5yrs of racing the CBR, my numbers ended up at 525mm front height and 297mm shock length. the front height is measured from the top of the lower triple to the center of the axle. that way your fork cart length doesnt affect the measurement like it would using "fork showing above triple".

Michael vallante likes this.
  11. Yea, that's funny, my fastest lap time at loudon was when I could barely squeeze my tire warmer between the tire and the swing arm. Thanks man, if you think of any ninth else please let me know! -mike

12. Thanks, what is the proper way to measure your wheelbase? Or do you just use the axle blocks and the lines on the swing arm? I was thinking of just using plumb bobs centered on the axle... Any better suggestions?

13. stangmx13

i usually just write down my chain length & sprocket combo or the distance from the block to the end of the swingarm. gearing affects my laptimes more than swingarm length, which usually leaves me with maybe 2 options for wheelbase / swingarm length. so the actual measurement isnt as important to me.

my CBR has 15/43 with a 112 chain right now, which puts it in the same spot as yours, 5 marks back. if i were still racing it, id prob go back to a 114 chain though and try taking 1-2mm out of the shock length.