1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOLA gearing RS125

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by davis2480, Sep 19, 2016.

1. davis2480

davis2480 Blake Davis's dad #122

Does anyone know what gearing to use to get me started at NOLA?

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Road Atlanta Gearing is a good start

3. davis2480

Great that helps. Never been there.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

LOL, The tallest gearing you have.

5. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

Yep, go tall. I've just been to NOLA once and used 16/36 according to notes. Don't think I switched anything around that weekend.

Are you going to hit some more southeast tracks? Let me know and I'd be happy to pass along more gearing... We need some more little bikes out there!

Matt

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Here is a gearing chart that I found put you in the ballpark when my son raced a Honda RS125.

http://www.usgpru.net/gearingchart.php

It lists 16-37 for Road Atlanta, Nola isn't on this list.

7. davis2480

Thank you guys my son is looking forward to getting down there. I hope there will be a descent grid.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are you new to Honda RS125s? If so, and you need someone to talk with about things, I will gladly share what I know. As well as try to save you from some of the costly mistakes I made.

9four9-3zero6-six5five6

Scott S. likes this.
  9. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

I started out with the USGPRU chart also and found it to be about right, maybe a little on the fast side when I was just starting out. I'm happy to help with anything also, but Rob has the experience with putting a kid on one of these things and getting feedback, etc. Most of my mechanical notes came from Rob and others on USGPRU. :beer:

FYI, at Road Atlanta, RRR and Barber I generally use 16/38 (tried 16/37 at Road Atlanta but dropped back because it was better for several corners). VIR is 16/37. I've also used a 15/35 at VIR and Road Atlanta apparently... must have been after doing Tally with 15/40... one extreme to the other.

I signed up for NOLA over the weekend not really knowing if I could make it, but it looks like I can now. Dad and I will be down Friday night. We'll look for you.

Matt

Scott S. likes this.
  10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I let my notes go with the 125, but 16/36 sounds about right. Depending on his experience level, you might want to start with a 37 on the back and see what he thinks.

11. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Hang with this guy