1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 brake pad pin safety

Discussion in 'Tech' started by R1Racer99, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Im assuming that pin can spin somewhat freely as well if its not threaded etc correct? If that's the case I'd not pick safety wire in that manner. The R clips are much more robust and made out of a different material. I'd be afraid of the pin rotating and wearing on the safety wire. I'd probably go with cotter pins if there is enough space in there. But yea, two R clips shouldn't go anywhere.

Also, not an R6 guy but if its the R clip im thinking of there is two steps, One is probably the correct one, and the second is the hole you'd grab onto with a finger (on the larger ones). I've had instances in heavy equipment where these pins would get pushed out by brush or whatever, the fix was to push them completely on to the grab hole. Again, not sure if space permits for something like that on those, looks pretty tight in thar. Might not be a good solution in this case?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

correct.. the pin that holds the pads can spin. R clips just keep the pin from sliding out either side. There are 2 R clips. it's impossible for both to fall out, and even 1 will hold the pads in..

3. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Awesome, if that is the case on a road race motorcycle you have FAR BIGGER problems than no brakes. Like you ran off at turn 1 at the old Brainerd and kept it pinned.

"If you can do it then why do it?" - Gertrude Stein

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just say'in that's the ONLY time I've ever seen an R-clip undo itself. Agreeing with most say that the redundancy is the safety factor here. That's all safety wire is, just a secondary securement, two clips should do the same.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

:crackup:

A meteor strike may also knock an R clip out.

6. Ryan Fay

Ryan Fay Well-Known Member

where is the best place to pick up new R-clips?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Home Depot and/or Lowes.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

9. Ryan Fay

Ryan Fay Well-Known Member

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not sure, don't have one in front of me. See what drill bit fits the hole cleanly and order that wire size in a plain stainless clip. I'd guess it was 3/32"

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The AMA Pro wrench testosterone is strong in this thread. Might be time for someone to get their levels checked and back off on their dosage...

12. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way. To me, it sounds like a few of these folks are pretty emphatic about not overthinking or reengineering a system that works pretty well just the way it was designed. I have no problem with that when it's coming from "AMA Pro wrenches" who know a thing or two about an R6 caliper pin.

MELK-MAN likes this.