1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class A or classC?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Aug 27, 2016.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Looking at 28 to 30 ft rv's to pull a 7 x 14 trailer behind. Class a or c and why?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Class A. Heavier chassis, better turning radius. 19.5" wheels. And if newer than 2006 on a ford with the v10 then 362hp vs 305hp.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Class C. I have had both and have a class A now as well as a 25 ft toy hauler. I feel like it's too much RV for what I need and the usable space for sleeping is no better than our class C was. Parking is a bitch and you have to plan your stops ahead of time because of the length. I think a pull behind toy hauler is the perfect solution if you have a truck already. BTW I have a 38' ft diesel pusher for sale

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Havent had an A or C but with the toyhauler/truck, you could seperate the two and have the missus make a food/parts run without moving your entire pit.

This came in handy more than a few times.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I dig the tow vehicle and separate trailer/living quarters also. However, I know Ben doesn't have a big tow vehicle and also just bought a nice enclosed trailer. I'd vote class C, given the requirments. More maneuverable, easier parking etc and gets the job done. I like the fact the smaller ones are built on one ton chassis that you can get parts anywhere for. Nice if you ever have issues on the road.

panthercity likes this.
  6. notbostrom

My armada won't pull a toy hauler and the wife won't drive an F250

Plus I'm beating the crap out of it pulling what I already have.

Even if I go class A I'm looking at 30 footers. I scoured the net and it seems like no one in the world can spell out any major differences between a and c other than personal preference

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  7. zertrider

When comparing similar length units, the contrary to what others have said, the A is more manouverable. They have a tighter turning radius due to a 50deg wheel cut vs a 43deg wheel cut on a C.

Read what is asked before answering people. He is not looking for a 38ft diesel.

And I would rather work on a class A than C any day. Parts are very available, and you can actually see all of the engine.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How is crash protection in a class a? I feel like it would be basically non-existent, since they're made of balsa wood and foil. At least in a class C you've got the passenger compartment from the base truck/van.

Speaking of which, I know most were based on the old Econolines but I've seen some that used a Superduty pickup chassis cab base. I'd think it would drive and pull better. Then you have the newer versions based on the new transit, but I think tow ratings are lower on those, similar to the Sprinter.

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I did read his question and I was answering to the best of my ability based on my experience not some thing I read on the net. I'll still stick to my class C answer. Mine was on a F350 chassis with the V10 and I could get parts at any parts store across the country.

notbostrom likes this.
  10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

We had a small C (24') pulling a 6x10 and it was way too small for 3 of us. The Ford V10 pulled great though.
    I bet a 30' A with all the bike stuff in the trailer would work well. We went the toyhauler route instead as I already had the truck and Carol liked the idea of unhitching if necessary.

11. zertrider

And my being a dealer for both, and having driven a few hundred And used personally dozens of them over the past 25 years, I am pretty confident in my answer.

12. zertrider

Depends on the manufacturer. Winnebago builds their complete cab area out of steel, and the rest is framed in aluminum. And in a crash involving a car, a class a would have you feet at about the roofline of the car.

13. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

I have a 29ft class c, I'd rather have an A or a super C instead, just for the headroom. The wife wouldn't drive an A. But for what you are looking for I think a C is fine

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I'm sure you are I wasn't insinuating you didnt know what you're talking about I was saying I was only going to answer from personal knowledge.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Class C on steroids, best of both worlds :D

Cuddles de Sade and t11ravis like this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

How are the baby class As (25' or less) compared to comparable class Cs? Still the same maneuvering advantage for the class A?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes. Basically it just comes down to how far the front wheels can turn. Some F450's and the 550's have a sharper turn radius too so depends on the chassis the C is on.

18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

19. zertrider

Depends on the chassis. Some of the new baby A's (The thor Vegas is an example) are built on the e450 chassis. So no advantage in turning radius. If it is an A with a 16" wheel, it will be the same as a C. The shortest class A built on a normal class A chassis is 26'.

20. notbostrom

Is there any other sources for pricing than nada? Good God prices seem to have no rhyme or reason