1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help 'Bout 2 Hook Up DIY Harness!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pheather, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Pheather

Pheather New Member

Ok My Gsxr's Down, so I pulled out my 85 Ironhead!!! Built a Bare Bones Harness following exhibit A!!! After further research I've totally confused myself and need Parental Guidance!!!
    1. Do or should I use a starter relay???
    2.Will this omit the 3rd wire coming off my starter???
    3. In turn requiring a start button?
    IMG_20160823_191327.png
    Or Will that diagram work???

2. Looks to me all 3 are needed in this configuraion but I am going off no sleep. Seems you would need to add a starter button if deleted. Personally the relay seems to be the easiest and cleanest install, others mileage may vary.

3. Yes, you need a starter relay. No, you can't omit that 3rd wire and that diagram assumes your ignition switch has a starter rocker built into switch itself like a car.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The relay isn't a bad idea, otherwise that full current of the solenoid needs to pass through the switch which may lead to failed switches. Third wire is for charging system so yea unless you like running a total loss system unintentionally :D

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

"Not a bad idea" is a bit of an understatement. I haven't seen a bar mounted switch yet on anything I'd run that kind of juice through.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well that's just it, this is an '85 and I don't think its bar mounted anyway. This is a decent sized switch. Without it in front of me I couldn't say for sure but it might be possible, I mean they omitted it from the beginning for a reason? Wouldn't be a bad idea but not necessary in all cases which may be this one.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Guess he didn't make it?

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Went down in flames probably. Should put a main fuse in :D