1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qualifying for GNF

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by BC975, Aug 3, 2016.

1. BC975

BC975 Member

Howdy folks - I am interest in qualifying for the GNF weekend and looking for some clarity. We raced back in 2014 Friday-Sunday but forced to DQ for the Friday and Saturday races. Prior to the GNF, we raced a combined CMRA/WEAR National race which apparently did not qualify us to race the sportsman program on Friday-Saturday.

Pardon my ignorance but I want to make sure we do this right this time around. In looking at the schedule, it appears that the NOLA round 9/24-25 is a National race as well as part of the Sportsman series. If we race the NOLA weekend, does that qualify us to run the entire GNF Barber weekend (National & Sportsman)?

Thanks for any information and guidance. The 2014 GNF was one of my favorite events and we are excited to come back and race with y'all.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yes. Put in the race you wanna race at the GNF on a regularly scheduled equivalent before and you're in there like swimwear

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

If you run NOLA you'll be able to run any of the Sportsman classes you ran. Nationals you can run any at the GNF you're legal for.

4. Wyngnut85

Wyngnut85 Member

Hoping not to take over this forum but quick question. Took riders school and went to Little Tally for last race but had some tech issues and didn't get to race. So I still need to get my two weekends under my belt to move from provisional to novice. Would I be able to race at the gnf if I can get to one of the race weekends before then ? Not sure if provisional novices could go. I really want to race I've just had some bad luck getting to do so.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get a weekend in and email me. We'll see how you did and go from there. With the championships being winner take all we don't want to exclude anyone but we also don't want to mess up someones race with a brand new rider either.

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW We'll do the same for you when you're going after a championship too :D

7. Wyngnut85

Wyngnut85 Member

Okay thank you!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No problem at all. We are here to get you racing for sure but good call on asking about the GNF, it is a special event.

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  9. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

if ive done my two weekends and did well both weekends (top 5) how do I go about racing at the gnf?

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Load the bike up and come to Barber in October!

You can race the classes you raced during the season ( Sportsman Regional/National respectively). For example, I raced LWSB and F2 in Mid Central Sportsman classes and I raced F2 Nationally - So I can race those classes on their respective days at the GNF.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

And I'm sure Sean will be along to clarify.

M

odomcaleb likes this.
  11. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

This is only true for the Sportsman Regional races. Theoretically/historically, the GNF is/was for the top 3 or so (by points) folks in each region to come together and have a 'winner take all' national championship Sportsman race. Now, it's fairly open to anybody that has at least a couple of completed races in that class during the year to come out and go for the championship. Sean uses the Olympics as an anology...

The National races at the GNF are just the last round of the series, and anybody can run the classes for which they qualify. There is potential for you to come and win the National race during the GNF weekend, but the National championship is based on points so the racers at the end of the day with the most accumulated annual points are the series/class winners...

As Mark said, load up and come on out!

Matt

odomcaleb likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Well... Some of us are actually in the top 3 in the regional sportsmen classes they've raced this year.:D

odomcaleb likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can race in any Sportsman class you ran. You can race any National class you're legal for.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was top 10-15 in any class in any region got the invite after removing guys in regions where they showed multiple times (so they'd get one invite and it would move others up). Lots of hassle and not really worth it and it pretty much invited anyone who ran during the year anyway so we made the whole thing simpler on all of us :D

Shenanigans and V5 Racer like this.
  15. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Sean, when do invites go out? Does GNF registration open sometime this month? thank you

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No invites being sent, registration will open up in a week or so.

17. BC975

BC975 Member

Another question.

I went to pre-enter for the NOLA round and noticed that the Saturday rounds are listed as sportsman and the Sunday rounds are national.

Can I race Saturday only and qualify for all events at the GNF? Friday/Saturday sportsman and Sunday national?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

At NOLA both days pay Sportsman points. Sunday also pays National points.

For the GNF you only have to qualify for Sportsman so yes, whatever classes you run Saturday at NOLA you can run at the GNF. Nationals at the GNF are open to anyone.

19. Wyngnut85

Wyngnut85 Member

Hey Mongo! I got a weekend in at Road Atlanta. Sent you an email but wasn't sure if you had received it.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got it and double checking with the boss before answering :D

Sidetracked getting the GNF invites and schedule done mainly, I'll answer today.