1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli SC front tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by svracer22, Aug 24, 2016.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Someone please school me on the differences between the front SC1 and the SC2. I'm talking the DOT full on race tires. Is it a feel thing, track surface, temperature, bike size? I hear most like the SC2 but not completely sure why.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Very subjective depending on a lot of factors like pace, rider preference, ambient temps, track surface, pressures, etc. Oh, and did I mention rider preference? I've had racers win on SC2 and SC1 fronts in the same weekend. Talk to your trackside guy or I can help you out as best I can here.

3. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Trackside vendor wasn't any help that's way I'm asking here. Can you elaborate on the differences?

4. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I'm planning on giving the Pirellis a shot in the near future too (probably spring), so any basic info would be helpful to me too. I'll learn the details through trial and error, but quick rundown to figure a starting point would help.

5. metricdevilmoto

Give me a bit to give you a proper reply. Busy in the shop this week.

6. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Got a quick semi-related question for metricdevilmoto....will Pirelli still be making the Supercorsa rears in 180/55 next year? Or are they being phased out because everyone loves the 180/60?

7. metricdevilmoto

At current, the 180/55s are still available. I haven't heard anything about them going away, but it wouldn't surprise me. The 180/60 is a superior tire. The only application we ever use the 180/55s for anymore is SVs with big rear wheel setups.

8. HondaGalToo

Thanks. I'll wait to see what next year brings, then. Seems to me that on my '07 gsxr 600 I'll need to add a couple of links to the chain so the tire will clear my lower. Doesn't look like it'll fit under the hugger either. It's about 5 mm taller, correct? I've seen it, damn thing looks like a 200, lol. Hear great things about it, though.

9. They come stock on some monsters (evo 1100 I just did). It's really annoying trying to get a 180/55 since everyone stocks 180/60's. Ducati guys all want OG tire sizes...

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

If you look at the spec sheet, it is the same size as the 200

11. HondaGalToo

As suspected. Didn't see the spec sheet, thanks for confirming

12. metricdevilmoto

I was talking specifically about race spec product. I wouldn't expect that the 180/55 would go anywhere as far as street spec rubber is concerned.

For the cost of a chain, it's well worth it. The 180/55 Supercorsa is 641mm and the the 180/60 Supercorsa is 656mm. Diameter measurement, of course. So radius number would be an increase of 7.5mm.

13. metricdevilmoto

Almost identical. The 200/55 Supercorsa is 5mm wider, with the same diameter (656mm).

14. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Speaking or Pirelli fronts... I’ve had a SC3 that I did three track days on in mid pack A group, and one race weekend... I put them on back in February... I know heat cycling has a lot to do with wear, but they still look solid and I’m wondering if it makes sense to replace them now or if they’re still good to go for another track day weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Back in June I posted a thread here in tech called "Pirelli tire selection" I would suggest that these gentlemen take a look at it as I think it will answer the questions here.

maslov likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I've done more than that on SC1f/SC2r. That said, I'm on a 600 and towards the back part of the pack.

maslov likes this.
  17. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I’ve read your post, which is extremely informative! Yet I’m still looking to better understand heat cycles and how these tires are affected by it. Any wisdom is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pirelli offers a V1 DOT 180/55 only in a SC2 compound, a V2 DOT 180/55 only in a SC2 compound, and the Slick 180/55, yep and only in the Sc2 compound. In the big picture the sales of this size were TINY when I worked there and I wouldn't think sales have increased since 2016. The reason the compound choice is limited is because the sales are NOT there to justify ANY increased development of a 180/55 at this time. I don't have a crystal ball but if you can get a 180/60 Slick or DOT in a SC0, SC1 or SC2 that shows that you should follow where the development is going to get the best sticky buns

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well today you can get a V1 DOT 180/55 only in a SC2 compound, a V2 DOT 180/55 only in a SC2 compound, and the Slick 180/55, yep and only in the Sc2 compound. And based on what I saw the requests for this size were TINY or else we would have offered more compound choices

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The Slick 180/55 is 181 mm wide with a 641 mm diameter
    The Slick 180/60 is 190 mm wide with a 656 mm diameter
    The Slick 200/60 is 200 mm wide with a 662 mm diameter but on the correct 6.00 rim