1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will America face a 35 year drought like the Brits!

Discussion in 'General' started by Greg S, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Seriously with not a single American out there and crashlow ending the drought for a win in gp. What's your guess on how many years it will take for an American to win again? I'm gonna say 27 years ha!

2. No, I'll be 42 next year and be the oldest to win a GP.

3. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Um how long has it been since Canada won a GP

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Who?

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Is a well funded feeder system going to appear in the US anytime soon? Are young kids going to suddenly care about roadracing the way they do M/X? How'd the last American "great hope" fare in his attempt to play on the world stage? I'd say that 35 years is probably an "under" number.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There hasn't been a well funded feeder system ever before - why would that be a necessity? There are a lot of great kids with talent who will get their shot.

The last American great hope won GP's and retired very early due to injury...

vizsladog, cBJr and wsmc 589 like this.
  8. baconologist

The next great American hope is kicking ass when he's not broken.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

in the next 5 ~ 7 years. Will it be Boobietitties, PJ, Gagnewithaspoon, NewDayrising, Gerloff, (my pick) Beach or any of the others I don't know. All it will take is a team or two to (again) roll the dice and it'll be the return of Americans where they should be in motogp.

We, Dorna and the sport needs 'mericans back in the series.

10. Past Glory

Why a well funded feeder system? Because the Spaniards are reaping the benefits of such. Just because American riders did well when no one had it doesn't mean they can continue to do so in the face of nations that do. Series in other nations are grooming their "great kids with talent", that's why they "get shots" at a higher rate now.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Spanish setup would never fly here. There isn't even one like that in MX and it's much larger than roadracing.

Would it be nice? Of course it would. But it's not necessary.

12. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

Cal won a world championship at age 23. If we're going by that logic, PJ is our only hope out of the names listed. Otherwise we're fucked.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're not remotely fucked. Look at the kids racing here. Look at their talent, their drive. There are plenty with the chance for the future.

By kids I'm not talking just the pre teens. :D

BigBird likes this.
  14. Age has nothing to do with it.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap and The sport is and will always remain too much of a fringe sport to support a spanish style series. It's easy to get new fans in to the sport but it's even easier to lose them with the short attention span of people today.

MX has always had a dog eat dog, cream rises system but it is so far from what goes on in spain for roadracing that you are 100% right. I forget who the writer was (might have been me in a haze for all I know) but he called it ascension by Thunderdome.

16. baconologist

the KTM kids seemed to do well in England last year

17. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

quoted for Husker Du reference. Honorable mention for Frank Zappa reference.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Freaky huh? :D

It does always come down to money. At the pro level MA seems to be getting better and better which will bring in more money and get the kids more chances. KTM Cup or not even, that is what it takes, a healthy pro series to get them in front of the people with the money to help them take the next step - those people are the OEM's.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid: and feel dirty. :D

It's not coincidental that Spaniards have 3+ guys fighting or finishing in the top 5 every round.

To answer the OP's question tho, keeping my fingers crossed for PJ to get his opp to break our short drought before it gets any longer.

20. Past Glory

For an American to ascend, teams have to believe in them and want them enough to give them one of the precious few slots available. What have these teams seen of American riders in the past 10 years to give them that desire? MotoGP is a European series and people want to see "stars" that they know. They've also seen the "cream" of American talent come over and not equal what they saw from the Americans that dominated so brilliantly in the past. The last "great hope", in the form of defending US Superbike Champion Josh Herrin, didn't even get through the Moto2 season. Not exactly an inspiration to get teams to check into US prospects, much less invest a MotoGP team effort behind. I'd love to see another Lawson/Rainey/Spencer, but I'm realist enough to understand how rare they are and that no American "deserves" a MotoGP ride just because others in the past did well. Like all sports, it boils down to "what have you done lately". The new generation of American riders is going to have to travel to Europe and race in series where they have to endure a swarm of talent, giving it all they've got just for the hope of cracking the top 10. When was the last time you saw a Moto3 type race from a US grid?