1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Will Protect This House?!?!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kiggy74, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can lead them around with enough force :D

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Exactly.
    His brain is last century in more ways than one.
    It's okay, though, they don't need the money now.
    He can hunt so they will eat.

3. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

OK, I'm back.
    Let me see if I can understand your reasoning.
    According to you, the Right or Wrong of the kill is based upon the killer's perceived necessity?
    So, I could kill a termite with my spear or magnifying glass if I deem it a necessity to kill the termite.
    I could kill the bear with a spear, or other available "tactical" weapon:D as long as I deem it a nuisance, necessity, or really any other reason just as long as I'm not having fun when I kill this animal.

So, Right or Wrong depends on whether I'm having fun.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, when I was in high school in Ag. class we did an experiment to show the basic intelligence level of different animals. (I lived in small rural school district in farming and ranching country so we had plenty of animals to choose from.) We used a dog, a cat, a sheep, a goat, a cow, and a chicken. One experiment was to put up a three foot high by four foot wide chicken wire fence up, put the appropriate food on one side and the animal on the other. The chicken was the only one that wasn't smart enough to go around the fence to get to the food. The cow just leaned over the fence, pushing it to the ground, to get to the grain. That was a smart cow.:D

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can't hear a damn thing. The noise from all the flapping vaginas on this planet is deafening.

crashman and cav115 like this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That shit makes you want to jab something with a spear, doesn't it?

7. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Just want to throw in my two cents. The only "big" game I've hunted is deer. Been doing it since I was 14. Even with a gun, they don't always die a quick death. In fact, the first deer I shot I hit right in the ass and it just pissed him off. We tracked the blood trail for an hour before we found him laying in a field looking at us with those big brown eyes. Gramps says, "You gotta finish him off." So I had to shoot him in the head. Big stuff for a 14 year old. But I learned a valuable lesson - take the cleanest and most humane shot possible. I would bet at least once every deer hunting season we've had to track a wounded deer. I could be wrong but I don't think we've ever lost one. I guess my point is all hunting isn't pretty. And to whoever said hunting is only done by kings and queens and those who hunt to survive, you couldn't be more wrong. Last year in Minnesota alone roughly 150,000 deer were harvested by licensed hunters. I guarantee not many of them relied on hunting for their only food. We have a saying among our group that we learned from my grandfather. "We can afford meat so let's just be safe out there." I won't even get into how much hunting responsibly helps the long term wildlife population or how much revenue it brings.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I said hunting for sport was something generally reserved for kings up until relatively recently. Regular people used to hunt because they had to.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My brother in law raises a few head of cattle each year. We pay him for a calf (or half, depending on who wants what), all expenses of raising and then pay the slaughterhouse when it is time to pick up the beef. He really enjoys the whole process, we really enjoy having a freezer full of fresh beef. He raised pork a couple times, but we found it easier to pay a local pig farmer that uses the same slaughterhouse.
    They enjoy it, we enjoy it, I just don't know where that puts us on the sliding scale of asinine. Is it worse because they are domesticated animals that some consider pets and/or divine creatures? Is it not so bad because they don't resemble cute, fuzzy children's toys?

Oh, and I hunt as well. Jackrabbits and Coyote are nuisance animals. I enjoy being out with my son helping the state manage the population of nuisance animals.
    Under Armour has the right to do what they want with sponsor dollars, but they are all kinds of hypocrites with that decision.

I also have a really good time smashing spiders and spraying that wasp and hornet spray, watching the things die.

Orvis likes this.
  10. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

You say cows are dumber than horses but you ever see anyone ride a cow? :p

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ask Panther.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Of course hunting is fun. I'll bet my heart rate was 200 when I took my first buck with a bow. A ten pointer, his antlers are still up in my shop. I don't hunt (other than ground hogs...the dirty basturds!) anymore. I have given thought to getting one of those new fangled cross bows. Don't know why, they just look cool.

13. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Head shots do not guarantee death, especially when considering a skull of a bear. Ever notice how people can be "brain dead" but not actually dead? And this has nothing to do with life support. As long as the brain stem is intact the animal would survive and suffer. Guess how long you last without a heart or lungs.... not long, which is why this is the preferred target for hunting vs the head, and the chest offers a much larger target than the head of an animal that's sniffing along the ground.

14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I find psychopathic rednecks to be nuisance animals.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That and people do not want to blast the trophy in to little pieces...

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thing is the cow would have done the same thing no matter what the fence was made of or if it were electrified :crackup:

That is funny and not surprising about the chicken. Worse than cows. :D

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I know. I believe a grizzly forehead is more or less bulletproof. My mother is from Alaska. My grandfather was a gold miner and hunting guide (he's where I got a lot of this "speak for the bears" stuff from).

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes.

But just because horses allow themselves to be ridden doesn't make them stupid. They like it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Everyone I know who does outdoors (like way out in the woods) stuff carries a .357 magnum or larger if they're in a bear area just because they're so damn tough.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The guys I work with in Alaska carry 500S&W's when they go fishing in areas with lots of bears. Yogi would be hurting if he got hit by one of those rounds...:crackup: