1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting dog down, how long until getting or not getting a new one?

Discussion in 'General' started by madcat6183, Jul 29, 2016.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sorry to hear your sad news. We share your sorrow.
    We believe that one dog can never replace another. They are like a brother, or sister, father, or mother.
    Celebrate his time with you, and accept that he leaves an ache in your heart, and a hole in your life.
    I know of one thing that can fill that hole, and ease that ache, and Durango sure seems serendipitous.
    Good luck. Toe-Knee ! and Jennifer.

2. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Bloodwork came back with high count and anemic while the Vet said either a major infection that would have cleared up by now or cancer. At his age I can't put him through the testing as he hates the vet and hates being away from home.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon to see Durango, sounds like he's 5-7 so tad older than we planned but that probably means he wouldn't get adopted by anyone else. Paperwork says he's great with people but we have 3 kids under 3 so have to be 100% on that.

I did forget I am traveling M-W so if I do end up liking him tomorrow will have to board him or wait to pick him up 3 days which sucks. Guess I could take him to my parents. Mom had stage 4 cancer just diagnosed last month so may make her smile as she loved Basco.

3. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

I find that I can bearly read these posts because its like loseing a child. by big boy is my sidekick . I have a big old flumpy pyre that with me when ever I'm home. lost two labs to cancer. I think that I was grieving for a year, before murf came from a shelter litter of 5 pups . he was the happest fat little thing. over 100 lbs of lap dog now. love me some murffy,still cant spell his name.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Bing just turned 13 this year. The medication helps, but it's getting to the point where the dosage has to go up. He's cozy and still likes to play with our Weimaraner and the cat. Until it gets to the point where he suffers, we do whatever it takes to keep him happy.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We lost our dachshund on May 25th. We do have three other dogs but I still miss her every day. A few weeks ago I found out my wife has already arranged to purchase another dachshund puppy. She's supposed to pick her up this weekend. In my mind, it's waaaaaaaaay too early. I'm far from over the loss of Lelo, and don't see how I can accept a "replacement dog". Nine years ago one of our neighbors ran over my JRT, then brought us a "replacement dog" a couple weeks later. I've NEVER bonded with that dog, every time I look at her I see an impostor, a dog that would not be in my life had it not been for the tragic end to my other dog.