1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a Bike in Pieces on a Pallet

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I've never shipped pallets before... somebody give me the scoop.

1) Pallet will have swingarm, wheels, forks, frame, empty gas tank, box of misc. shit. All separated into pieces so pretty compact (wheel still in swingarm, wheel still in fork i guess), no motor. Motor is already at the destination.
    2) Figure about 150-160lbs. without a motor in there?

So my questions...

1) Where do I go to buy a pallet? Or just take one from somewhere sitting in a pile?
    2) Does it have to be packaged in box form with sides and a top? Or it can just be the items strapped down to the pallet and open on all sides besides the bottom?
    3) Wrap the stanchions in stuff in bubble wrap, wrap all of it in plastic, ratchet it down to the pallet and that's it?
    4) Who should I use for this? A quick look, looked like UPS would be the cheapest if I brought it to the depot 30 minutes away (prices look like between $300 and $500 from MD to FL).

Trying to get this racey bike underway real soon so i can finally have it completed. Thanks.

2. caferace

caferace No.

There are pallets, and there are pallets. If you're going to codge one, find someplace that has *really* heavy stuff delivered on them. Most of them aren't even good for a bonfire.

-jim

pfm likes this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I received an engine on a pallet, it was wrapped in a plastic bag and strapped to the pallet. I don't remember seeing a pallet jack on the truck, and it definitely didn't have a lift gate, so we weaseled it out with a couple of bike ramps and muscle (it was a GSXR600 engine, not too big or heavy). If you are shipping from your house, you might need to let the shipping company know if you do or don't have the ability to lift it into the truck. If you deliver to a shipping point, they can drag it out of your truck and pallet jack it into the warehouse/truck.

Pallets are easy to get around here from building supply houses, I see STACKS of them outside of a roofing supply house with a perennial "Free" sign on them.

4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I took a regular pallet & modified it (made it smaller/not sure that was necessary) 98 GSXR 750, bagged & shrink wrapped. Strapped motor to pallet & delivered to shipping agent.
    Went San Diego to MD $160.00

In your case I'd enclose everything. Too many pieces to secure to an open pallet.

5. Sweatypants

who'd you ship with?

6. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Go behind any walmart, grab a pallet, they will have thousands stacked up, call AAAcooper and schedule a pickup.

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

$500? You could ship a whole bike for that.

9. Sweatypants

yea i just searched like "ship a pallet to a residence that weighs 200lbs." on google and looked at 2 sites and that was the range. beats me. i will go with Forward Air first then, and see what's up. Thanks.

10. You finally finishing that super single sometime before the turn of the century? Sending it to Matt?

11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Doesn't Fastenal ship pallets store to store?

12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I thought there was a thread somewhere about a dude that shipped a Ducati 999 to Austrailia in 2 suitcases. The way he packed all the parts was insane!