1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting dog down, how long until getting or not getting a new one?

Discussion in 'General' started by madcat6183, Jul 29, 2016.

1. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Long short, dog went from super happy and normal self to miserable in span of 1 week. Took him to the vet and said it's either cancer or a serious infection. Steroids, antibiotics, pain meds, nausea meds, and 1 other pill for something daily in peanut butter and no improvements. Won't eat anything besides peanut butter from my finger and drinks a gallon plus of water a day.

He's bloated, and miserable. Anemic and can barely walk so tomorrow at 9am I have an appointment to have him put down. We've covered that part many times on here. I've cried more than I ever have in the last week or so and haven't slept more than a few hours listening to him struggle to breath and just thinking about him.

Thing is, we are huge dog lovers. We live in the sticks and it's our way of life, but I just don't know when/if we should get one or shouldn't. We want to go to a shelter and get one that's a bit older, trained for the most part, or at least potty trained, and try to do what we think our dog would want us to by helping an older mutt out.

I found one at the humane shelter around the corner from us and his name is Durango, which is my favorite town in the US to visit and almost wonder if we're meant to have all this happen at once. He's 6-8ish and they say very sweet.

Do I go check him out right after Basco goes down? Do I wait? Do I get 2 dogs? Do I get a mastiff like I have always wanted, or do I get Durango an older dog who probably won't get rescued if I don't take him.....

2. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Only you can decide when you are ready, but my opinion is the sooner the better.

ryanp77 likes this.
  3. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I say give yourselves a moment to grieve, but not too long.
    The new dog won't ever replace Basco, so don't expect it to. Love it for it's own self.
    Good on ya for looking at shelter dogs.

JBall likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you answered your own question. Good luck that sounds like a tough day.

5. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

The dog in my avatar Brandy was 14 when we put her down. I signed up on here in 2001. same avatar the whole time. And its were I got my username idea
    we were all distraught.

It took us over 3 years to get another dog.

we now have Mr. Skittles the weiner dog

6. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Friend of mine/co-worker went through something similar with a Greyhound, they said they "would" get another dog down the road. He said it's been 5 years and he realizes now he won't get another. He would have had to do it right away.

I am just afraid if we don't we will get used to not having one or something. I have never not had one myself so just think I will feel a void. Maybe a week or 2. Maybe I will call the shelter back and ask how long Durango has been there. If it's a long time, may have to make that choice sooner than later. Hard because I feel like I shouldn't be thinking, looking, or entertaining this idea as it's a time to grieve, but I just think my dog would want me to help more of them out if he isn't in the picture any longer.

vizsladog likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

When you are ready, be it 3 hours or 3 years, go for it. Your love of dogs, to me, reflects how much joy they bring you.

Adopting an older dog is great. We have adopted 2 old yellow labs in the last 2 years. The first one likely would have died on the cold concrete of his shelter kennel if we hadnt gone and got him. They were suprised when we called about him. He made it 1 year and 1 day. Our current old boy came along less than a month later and is a foster fail.

GSmann, Lawn Dart and vizsladog like this.
  8. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I think immediately after was best for my situation. Just remember you are not replacing them, you are channeling your grief into love, and giving another animal the same loving home you provided your last pup (corny as shit, but true).

ChuckS, Boman Forklift and vizsladog like this.
  9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

If you and those around you are ready for another dog, then absolutely. I think the grieving process is different for everyone, and truthfully depends a great deal on the circumstances.

Our Dachshund is rapidly approaching this point with congestive heart failure and we have concluded he has had a good life and been a very good dog.

Kudos to you for finding a shelter dog.

vizsladog likes this.
  10. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Take your time and grieve. You'll know when you're ready for a new one.

And when you do get a new pup, please adopt. SPCA, the local pound, etc. No mall pets or breeders. Rescue dogs can't be beat.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Do what feels right for you.
    Nobody can make the decision for you, and there's no right or wrong here, just what makes you feel good.
    Sounds like you want the new dog, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.
    It's not a betrayal. Follow your heart.

BigBird likes this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

8 years since my bully got put down......still cant get another:(

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

^ This. You make the decision. The love of another animal can help heal the loss. They won't take the place of your friend, they make their own. I miss all the dogs I have had over the years. Each was different, but all gave more than they ever asked for in return.

madcat6183 likes this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

^This

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Agree with most everything here, no sense repeating it. We were dog less for 5 months after having 2 Labs for 10 years. Wife wasn't in a hurry to get another one right away, said they tie you down, which they do a little. Oldest daughter and I kept working on her and she finally gave in, we got Sam, my avatar pic from the local SPCA. 1.5 ish yrs. old, great dog and smart as hell. Had him 7 weeks and he got hit in the road. I was a wreck for a few weeks, wife said we can get another if you want but I wasn't sure if I wanted to set myself for that again. But I've always had a Lab since I was a kid, missed not having one around. Figured if the right one popped up we'd know. Middle of December he did, found a 14 month old yellow Lab on craigslist that's now part of the family.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Take Durango.
    Sweet dogs are good dogs and will be easy.

It may deaden the immediate pain for you, but it also will allow for a good dog to get a nice loving home.

Sorry about your current situation, as that's rough. :(

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can only say this. No one can decide but you. I like them too much to not have some around. We lost 2 this year and added 2 this year. I waited a few weeks. The rescue we work with already had these 2 new girls slotted for us as they knew we were losing the first 2 girls we ever adopted from them. I say if he has had a good life and you have no regrets than honor him by giving another dog in need a home. Maybe a couple of them as they always do better in groups. They are a pack animal after all. But don't feel the need to do it immediately. Do it when you are ready as they need you to be focused and stable for the first month or so until everyone settles in.

18. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

They check him for diabetes? Our 11 yr old shepherd mix went through similar sounding symptoms, minus the bloated part. Got to point where he couldn't walk. Just knew we were going to have to put him down, but after some more tests, and a week at vet, they determined he was diabetic. Once blood sugar under control, he improved. Going blind with cataracts now, but he seems healthy as a old dog can be; normal appetite, gets around on his own, seems happy to be around. Gets a shot of insulin twice a day and special dog food. Likely they tested for that, but worth asking to be sure and rule it out as a possibility.

As was said, it's up to you and family on if/when to replace him. Also, another vote for rescue/shelter dog. All 4 of ours are rescues.

19. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Go get Durango right away. You've given your current dog a great life, and Durango has had a shitty go of things. A dog isn't like a getting a new girlfriend after a divorce -- you can still continue to grieve and that older dog will still be getting the best days it has known in a long time (if not ever). No reason to wait, he won't be jealous or complain that you're not 100% emotionally ready. And while nothing will make you not sad about losing a dog, you absolutely will feel at lesat a bit happier knowing that you've saved an animal from the shelter.

As for if 2 dogs are better than one... yes :) Mastiff plus Durango checks all the boxes.

Hyperdyne likes this.
  20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My 13 year old dachshund has same heart issue.
    I had 3 of them, 2 died few years back. I did get 2 more dogs (different breed) so there is always 3 of them around.