1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rims for Ram 2500

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jul 24, 2016.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Almost time for new tires on the truck and I am considering putting some after market wheels on at the same time. My main question is, how can I be sure that the wheels I am looking at are rated to tow the same/more than OEM? When I look at Tire Rack, etc and put in my truck it brings up a lot of rims that will fit, but what does that do to towing?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nothing.

Wheels are rated to the GVWR of the vehicle they're designed for. If TR or any other reputable place is listing them as appropriate for your vehicle, they meet the GVWR specs.

BigBird and omatter34 like this.
  3. omatter34

I was hoping to hear something like that, but have never owned diesel before. The last thing I want to do is handicap it's towing capabilities.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Axles and tires are where you're going to see limitations. Open your door and the nameplate in there will give you your axle ratings front and rear, and of course the sidewall of your tires will list maximum loads. Lowest rating wins. Wheels aren't going to be your weak link. :beer:

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I recall something about hub-centric vs lug centric. You'll want hub centric for a truck like that.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

My advice is to not go for low profile tires and big rims if you are towing. With very little sidewall to absorb impact, you'll be having lots of flats and bent rims.

7. 26's at least. You want to look good while on the side of the road :)

TLR67 and BigBird like this.
  8. omatter34

Don't plan on going any bigger than the factory 20's and with a little bigger tire, so will actually game some sidewall .

Phl218 and DucatiBomber like this.
  9. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Just a thought, had BFGoodrich TA Radials on the truck when we bought it. After wearing them out, had researched the snot out of replacements. 90% of people said go with the Michelins. I bought a set and HATE them! Before the truck was stable towing our 40ft 5th wheeler. Now with the Michelins the truck goes down the road like a drunk turtle. The side walls are to soft compared the the BFG's. When the Michelins give up, going back to the BFG's. Again, just my experience with towing tires. Good luck.

10. omatter34

On that note...when looking for approximately a 35" tire or 295/65/20, what the recommendatioms for a good towing tire?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  11. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Mine are E rated and they have been good for towing so far. The pressures are very stable in them as well. Goodyear Wranglers and it's what came on the truck. Not the best rugged looking tire, it's more street oriented which is ok for my use. They are 20s but I don't know exact size right off top of my head.

12. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Similar Experience. Was running Goodyears and replaced them with Coopers - both E load rating. With the Goodyears, the truck pulling 10k lbs was as stable as all get out. Rock solid. With the Coopers, I'm still playing with pressures trying to get the truck to handle as predictably while pulling. I also attribute it to sidewall flex on the Coopers.

13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

If your old tires were down to the wear bars. new tires will feel all over the place for a little bit.. "tread squirm" was how it's described to me.

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I would highly recommend the Nitto Terra Grapplers or Dura Grapplers. I had them on my previous Tow Rig and loved them. My new rig came with Firestone Transforce HT's. They ride well and are quiet but man do they wear like crap. I'll be lucky if I get 30K out of them. And I rotate them every 5K.

omatter34 likes this.
  15. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Toyo AT's or the RT's if you want more aggressive tread. Both wear great and drive smooth. Also most wheels will have a weight rating just like a tire does. Most cheap ones that people buy won't be as high.

16. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

If you're just towing, look into Nitto Road Grapplers. I had them on my 2500HD during the race season. They were quiet, smooth, great in the rain and E rated tough. I put them on steel wheels because I didn't want to run over something on the road and crack an aluminium wheel as steel can always be hammered back into shape (to limp to repair if needed). Plus they made a set small enough for the trailer so I matched.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

BFG commercial T/A if you're just going for towing and not really looks so much. Tread is deep on them in a tire that size and do pretty well in snow, but that's how commercial tires are built too, more of a closed shoulder type tire.

18. omatter34

This is also my daily driver, so I do want something that looks decent, but performs well for a few thousand miles a year towing the toy hauler.

19. omatter34

Terra grapplers have been on my radar for a while now. Glad to hear you liked them.

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I like those Transforce's. They do well with my 46' trailer and driving around.