1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cr500AF Supermoto

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by drewwillgetyou, Jul 4, 2016.

1. drewwillgetyou

drewwillgetyou Average Guy

Ok guys and gals the day has come to let my CR500 go, I will do my best to describe everything done but there is so much I will probably leave some things out.

Frame/Suspension:

Initially started life as a 2001 CR250, was cut and fitted with the 500 motor. The forks and shock were OEM and had not been valved or touched. First ride this proved to be a HUGE problem. Rick from Cogent Dynamics went through the fork and shock to try and get it more manageable. After a test at CMP we realized this wasn't going to work, we dove into better options.

So here is where things get crazy, we measured the front end of a KTM supermoto that I had put together years back. Rick had cut the forks, limited travel and fully valved them for supermoto use. I believe he said there was around 10 hours of dyno time on the forks alone. The shock was gone through again, relief valved was removed and internals shortened. Thomas Hall from TH3 helped make the modifications to fit the KTM front end on the bike, he did a superb job. Geometry was then set and all bearings and bushings replaced.

Found a Brembo master that worked with the forks and installed a R6 Brembo master cylinder to help with stopping power, currently has Galfer Sintered brakes as they have given the best feedback so far. Will come with a CRG lever however with the way the curved bar is I found the short lever didn't give me enough leverage to slow the bike. An OEM lever was used and made it much easier to modulate the brake.

The steering damper mount had to be modified to fit the 01 frame, but now fits great. Has upgraded Scotts upper triple that helped stiffen the front greatly.

Derek from Stickboy Racing helped with tire selection, getting the front to grip was a huge problem. We switched off the Bridgestone V02 Slick to the BM03Z medium front. Mike Fitzgerald then set the sag and clickers and off the bike went, sold as a rock.

Engine:

Now to be honest I am not 100% sure what year the motor installed is, front what I can tell is an 89. I bought it from a guy who had just completely gone through the top and bottom of the motor, thing was clean as a whistle. Lee's Performance in Charlotte NC did the tuning, this guy is the man. I would highly recommend him to anyone that needs a tuner. Bike made 70.1 hp with the Bridgestone slick, he estimated it would probably be 2-3 hp higher with a regular dot tire, but that didn't matter I just wanted to make sure the motor was tuned and oiled properly.
    We upsized the pilot jet so the bike would run slightly richer on decel keeping the piston lubed, this bike has been around Roebling Road and Barber with no issues. I've seen 118 on the dash...freaking nuts.

Coolant was drained and only used factory pre mixed Engine Ice to keep it cool, this really helped on the 100 degree day at Barber.

FMF Fatty polished pipe and silencer

For the full asking price this will come with a spare unicorn motor out of a 93. These had a 10% taller 4th and 5th gear ratio, ran great when it was pulled from the bike but I HAVE NOT gone through the motor at all.

Bike has full Vortex chain and sprockets, it has the smallest rear gear we could possibly find. Used a non oring chain to save on rotating mass weight.

Bike had oil changed after every day it was ran, used 0w-40 Motorex Full Syn. I will give a quart with the sale so you can keep using the same oil, I would highly recommend not switching oils.

Wheels:

Wheels are from Warp 9, front is for a 03+ KTM 250 SX
    Rear is for a 03+ Honda CR250.

So I think that about sums it up, if I think of anything else I will update the listing. No expense has been spared on this thing, its reliable and super fun. Pretty much steals the show wherever it goes.

Asking $8000

If you don't want the spare motor -$1000

I can help to deliver to local races if need be, or ill try to be as accomodating as possible with whats needed.

Please send me an email at [email protected] if you have more questions.

2. drewwillgetyou

Please note there is another thread in the for sale sections with pictures also.

3. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

are you interested in the selling the spare motor.

4. drewwillgetyou

Potentially but currently it comes with the bike unless it's not wanted.

5. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Pm me if you decide to part with motor I have a built one and would like a back up motor

6. drewwillgetyou

Bump.

SpaRe motor for sale.

Figured I would shoot to get my money back on the bike, lowering to $6500.

7. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Spare motor price??

8. drewwillgetyou