1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1-4 cylinders

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jul 20, 2016.

1. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Usually with test and tune they have a line and you just get in line. Up here in NY they run bikes and snowmobiles together, they won't let you run a bike vs a car for liability reasons.

Up here if you run the quarter mile in 12 seconds or under you have to wear full leathers other wise jeans, sturdy over the ankle boots, jacket, Gloves, helmet.

You can use the burnout box but I roll around it and pre-stage to light the first set of Amber lights, wait for whoever is in the other lane to pre-stage then stage then I roll up to stage which lights up the second set of lights, get my rpms up for launch because as soon as I get the stage light lit the tree starts counting down and next thing ya know it's yellow lights then green to go

2. Dude, just reading that gave me an adrenaline rush.

I have a feeling that doing this might be a bad thing. It wont be long and I will be looking to get/prep a drag racing bike.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  3. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Leave on the last yellow for a good reaction time

dsmitty37 likes this.
  4. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

That's the equivalent of the starter tipping his hand to wave the green flag

5. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

It will draw you in. It doesn't seem like that much at first, just a quick blast in a straight line, but because it is such a condensed activity, the slightest miscue ruins your run. For someone as obsessed about proper performance as you are, drag racing is going to get to you in a very big way. You'll see what I mean when you do your first run, and how quickly you get back to the line to correct what you did wrong and then getting hit with another error. It's a never ending pursuit.

Have fun.

Metalhead, TurboBlew and dsmitty37 like this.
  6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Oh Crap! You're going to find a new way to spend an exponentially greater amount of money in a fraction of the amount of track time.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you can get a ride on a 60-64" turbocharged or nitrous liter bike, you may never look at "high performance" the same...lol. Especially with auto shifter, slider hybrid clutches, and staged performance adders.
    These days you can buy a turn key 7 second street bike for way less than $20,000 (building 1 is much more). Thats 0 to 185+mph in 7 seconds on a DOT tire. Formula 1 territory. And its still street legal. (thats 1/4 mile time)
    Also you might be "horrified" at the complete lack of protective gear some of those guys make passes with. (like high top sneakers & jeans)

Metalhead likes this.
  8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

that quest for perfection is going to bankrupt him

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What about a square 4 2 stroke?

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the other thing i like that i think was touched on earlier, is the ability to score a single digit number plate (well actually 1-10) to run all year, in all classes if you score top ten overall championship points. It gives the faster guys and those that do put in the effort to travel to enough of the series and finish races.. to show they put in a lot of work. I do think there is some respect that comes with running a top ten number.

If you score a single digit for your region, are you unquestionably one of the 10 fastest in the region? not with any certainty, that is for sure considering at any given weekend you could get a good motoamerica rider showing up. but this IS club racing after all. And it does help generate revenue, which is what might be what we need to keep a series healthy.

and maybe you can clear something up for me. I think wera awards a #1 plate for a win a the GNF for each class, but i thought that was simply part of the trophy package that goes with those wins? is that not correct? Or how would you run a #1 for just a single class ? do people literally run their assigned number for most races, and put a #1 on for the classes they won the GNF race with?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not sure if someone has mentioned this before but check the rules before you go if possible. At the strip I used to hang out at on T&T nights for a few years before I started roadracing, those sessions were for street vehicles. (I.e. lights required.)

I have no doubt that this will happen. At a minimum, you will soon own something like a stock ZX14 or H2.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah right!

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I said "minimum."

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

At our local 1/8 mile we zip tied a Bell Bicycle LED tail light from Walmart to the bike, that passed muster for the test and tune nights.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No. The Banjo Fuckbeads is the ultimate alt bluegrass band name.

We used to have a chihuahua named Banjo. Lil bastard humped errythang. Wifey had a neck pillow with about pi quadrillion of these microscopic styrofoam beads in it. Banjo humped it, making it his own, then he further asserted his dominance by biting & shaking it vigorously, tearing it open & spewing those satan spawn little beads out all over the living room floor. We have changed the flooring in every room of the house, we've painted, we've remodeled half the house... but STILL to this day we find those "Banjo Fuckbeads" in every room of the house.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Dude, what the hell have you been drinking? Stock?

<edit> Damn. I kept reading and saw that ryoung beat me to this one...

You will see Broome and Nazif racing from Starbucks to Starbucks if Chris gets in to the straight line stuff...

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The stock ZX14, or 'Busa for that matter, would be the best option for him insofar as teaching proper launch techniques. A stock either one of those bikes is terribly difficult deal with as far as pure drag racing goes. There's a reason so few people choose to ride them in stock configuration.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Would a 14 or Busa really be the best option? For that matter, would any sort of drag racing modded bike be a good option? The goal is to improve roadracing starts, and the key is balancing clutch slip, throttle application, and wheelie, on a bike that ALSO needs to be set up to make it THROUGH turn 1. Drag bikes get heavy clutches, long swingarms, and short forks so they're easier to launch. Getting used to those mods would turn roadracing starts into loopfests.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I agree that a stock setup will probably best translate to roadracing race starts even if it doesn't make the best drag racing bike.
    That's all I used during the two or three years that I did this regularly. Never had drag bike. Never even had a Busa-type bike. I spent most of my time on a GSXR 750 and ZX-9R, although I took my V-Max to the strip a bunch of times before the engine broke down. Rickey Gadson had a ZX-9R back then too, so it turned out to be convenient for him to give me pointers and help me get better.