1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential tool list.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JonJon, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JonJon

JonJon Member

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions of absolute must-have tools for bike repair in their garage, and also at the track. I'm looking to put together a trackside tool box for a pinch, and also get whatever tools for my house I might need. Thanks!

Will9465 likes this.
  2. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

3. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Necklace bearing the symbol for male.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3 ft screwdriver

Will9465 likes this.
  5. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

The best tool is the search feature

MELK-MAN and TLR67 like this.
  6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

True story.

But also, full set of socket and ratchets, Allen wrenches (metric and standard), some safety wire with a nice safety wire twisting plier and lock-tite. Just to name a few.

Will9465 likes this.
  7. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

T handle Allen set. And 8,10,12,14 mm socket set and wrenches. Long extensions and long screwdrivers. Also zip ties and FLUSH cut dikes.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Duct tape, hammer, pliers, zip ties. You can fix anything in the world with those four. And a knife. So, five.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

don't forget a good safety wire pliers.

10. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

a machete

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets with corresponding metric and sae sockets plus whatever sockets are needed to remove front and rear axle nuts as the rear is usally quite bit larger than most kits.
    metric and sae allen heads for 3/8 ratchet
    3/8" torque wrench
    safety wire
    safety pliers
    zip ties
    blue loctite
    metric t handle allens
    metric allen wrenchs because sometimes the spot isn't big enough to get in with a ratchet and allen head socket
    hammer
    hex head axle tool http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0397
    pliers-needle nose, visegrips, channellocks, snap ring
    battery operated impact gun--for those times you cut the chain and forgot to break the nut on the front sprocket first
    brake bleeder kit-mighty vac
    whatever tools you need for your suspension

This is the kit that I got for Christmas to get me started for tools and I have just added to it to to make it work for working on the bike at home and at the track:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-...c-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/50200795

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

And when the budget and transport permits, a decent tool box with labels. I hate when i dont have it at a race weekend. image.jpeg

dsmitty37 likes this.
  13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Something to change a flat on your tow vehicle and trailer.

triplestrong and MELK-MAN like this.
  14. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Make sure it's registered first.

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

? Lay the chain on the sprockets with the cut point on the lower run, then zip-tie or wire the ends together - not really necessary, but it prevents flopping about and slipping. Put the wooden / plastic / rubber-coated handle of a hammer or mallet through the rear spokes so that it binds on the swinger, then use your standard socket wrench to remove the sprocket nut.

Also comes in handy to remove the basket nut on the clutch.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Extra nut and bolt collection..... The home depot organizers are awesome for $5

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Get a metalhead- he can fix anything

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

The absolute most important thing, im suprized no one has mentioned.

Tire gauge.

Not some harbor freight or cycle gear cheapie. Spend the few extra bucks and get a good one. I have 2 quick car gauges that I have calibrated at the beginning of each year. And I use the same one every time. Youd be amazed and some of the gauges I see people use. Tire pressure consistency is one of the most important things imo. Using 3 4 5 different gauges from different people will throw you for a loop if your not careful. Ive seen people using gauges that were 7 lbs off. And then they wonder why the bike is sliding.

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

20. drop

drop Well-Known Member