1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mini thread

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Jul 18, 2016.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So have this page just turned into the Mini buy and sell page now?

2. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

Let's start a convo then. I'm 6' and 195 lbs. I want to start riding mini moto and a friend of mine is selling a crf150. You think that will be a good bike? Or something smaller? What do you ride? Is there a lot of maintenance involved with the CRF's?

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It depends. 150F or 150R? Completely different bikes as the 150F is an aircooled trail bike and the R is a watercooled race bike (replaces the CR85). The 150F is a good size for an adult as is the 150R, but remember they are minis so they are going to be a bit tight. I race an XR100 in indoor flat track, and you just have to adjust. 5' 10", 160 lbs, the XR is reasonable (as long as you remember what you are riding), the TTR125 is about 5% larger than the XR100, and the CRF150's (both)are a bit larger than the TTR.

4. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at cbf 150 R. What's the maintenance like? How often are oil changes? Valves need adjustment more often?

5. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

i wasn't sure to post in this thread or the FS thread, but many others have done it without any comment from mods. So figured it was ok.

6. backcountryme

CRF150R is an awesome race bike. VERY fast. I think the maintenance depends on how hard you twist the engine. I am 6' and fat and race a bone stock XR100. It is tightish, but way too much fun.

7. backcountryme

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's okay for specific bikes that have their own forums like minis, smokers, and Vintage.

CK from NC and jeffr1ey like this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where are you riding?
    And a 150r is pretty much the perfect bike for kart tracks

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the R or the RB? The R has a 17" front and 14" rear. The RB has the 19" front and 16" rear... thats the one you want.
    Makes swapping the wheels over much easier.

11. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I bought a 2016 150r and only thing I have done is put set of 17 inch wheels. The thing is a blast to ride. I bought a new one because I was scared to buy a used. We'll see if this one goes pop anytime soon. From what I been hearing is lot of oil changes and check valves when needed, other than that should not be any problems.

12. backcountryme

XR ftw. Thing is 0 maintenance. I think you could run it without oil and it would be ok.

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have 17" wheels on my small wheel 150R. Not a problem. I'm expecting a giant spider to ride it out of the back of the barn any day now. If anyone close to Mobile wants a 150, I suppose I should really get rid of it.

14. ducati culture

ducati culture If it involves mud iam in.........

I was at sandy hook in maryland this past weekend I am soo addicted and I didnt even ride. I am looking for a xr100 now.

15. ducati culture

backcountry,
    are those the stock wheels and you simply put road tires on them?

16. backcountryme

Yeah. Our stock class up here requires us to run stock wheels. I got a rule change to allow the XR/CRF 100 to upgrade to a disk front brake. So my front is actually off of a Giovanni X31 pitbike so that I could mount a rotor.

17. ducati culture

Awesome.. I am waiting now to heear from the speedway if the XR80-16 is acceptable in the front. ANYONE have a stock baffle they want to sell? Mine is freaking missing I need the three bolts too! dc

18. ducati culture

Looking for a xr100r for my buddy who has one for sale? In the dc.md.va area but willing to drivrea couple of hours if needed!

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Never ridden/maintained a carbed bike before, never ridden on anything but asphalt (intentionally), basically a total noob to all of this. Anyone here have any experience with a TTR 125L (CRF's around here are going for insane prices) and/or anything specific I should look for when kicking the tires of the bike below?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5737035304.html

FWIW, I'm 6'3"/220. Mainly going to be used to fuck around my 1 acre property (in a development, neighbors are really gonna love it), do some parking lot drills, and then do some trackdays/racing at NJMP MiniGP (that's the reason for getting the "L" version - seems like the non-"L" are not able to compete in very many classes there - http://www.njminigp.com/mini-gp-racing/race-classes/ ).

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Other than the normal dirt bike stuff to inspect, look at the frame cradle to see if you can see any signs of stretching or cracking.

SuddenBraking likes this.