Barber Motorsports Park - July 2nd-3rd

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 21, 2016.

1. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Talking about Caleb? I believe that was his first time riding at Barber, and definitely his first time on slicks. Hopefully he's not a "fast until he bins it" kinda noobie

odomcaleb likes this.
  2. Haha, I do that too. :D

3. To be honest, not really. I enjoy the challenge and it is helping me learn to develop a motorcycle. I actually have the best of both worlds going on. We have lots of time and notes on the R6. It is the "we are at Barber, so lets put the suspension here, gearing here, gas it and go..." bike. It is the one we don't have to mess with or worry about.

The 1299S is fun in a "lets see if we can be fast on this thing" sorta way. Sure, it is cool to be able to just gas up the typical Jap bike and ride it. But there is also something to be said for taking a rare bike that nobody else is racing, and making it work. There is a sense of gratification that comes from arriving at a new track, realizing the previous track's setup doesn't work, figuring out why, making changes, and constantly getting better and faster over the weekend.

Banditracer, cajun636 and BigBird like this.
  4. Yep, and that was the only good thing about it. Once you/we realized it was there, it could be avoided (or expected). I altered my line exiting the museum to avoid it. And going up T2-T3 I just knew it was going to happen, hung my body off a lil more, and paid super attention to the throttle. The track conditions affected the lap times of the non-WSBK riders :D, but it was still some great racing and much better than fighting the rain.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Who was the novice that was making a comeback, got like 4th overall in one race?

6. lostinbama

lostinbama Well-Known Member

Gary Virgin? That dude was rolling

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I was just happy to be there but wanted to apologize to everyone in HWT SS. I got a black flag and didn't see it. Not sure how not because I was just putting around on stock , except exhaust and a filter, I was just feeling the bike out. I didn't notice the oil coming from the filler cap, which is where I think it is comign from. So far I LOVE the bike, just the oil thing is a big downer. I still had fun though and was happy to see everyone. I can't wait to get used to this bike.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep looking for other areas - the filler cap isn't under pressure so really doubt it'll leak unless it comes off (which they do and why they're wired :D)

9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Unless he already has blow by......hopefully not though although warranty would fix it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmmmm - any chance the crankcase vent is pinched?

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I had one of the fill caps on my 100 motard leak oil while on the kart track, it wasn't off just loose enough to come out.
    Weird happen but it's wired now...

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah it's warranted 123 miles as of now

Nope we checked. I really just appears to be the cap. We pulled the air box. But really it did it on the 3rd day I owned it. But I just figured I bugged my buddy and he didn't tighten it. So I hand tightened it and went about my way. Didn't leak on the Dyno either but that was only 3 pulls

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is really weird.

14. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

wasn't Gary. but that big fukker is fast for sure and a nice dude too

lostinbama likes this.
  15. Yeah Gary is a good dude and always has a good pit setup.

16. odomcaleb

odomcaleb #529

@slimjim00 it was my first race weekend there. I did 2 track days there before. I have only done 3 track days total so this weekend was my 4th time on the track and boy I did not expect to do that well.. I got there and was running 144s.. in the race school practice #1 then went out on the second practice and ran a 142. so then the mock race came about and I got off the line super good and got into the lead on the first lap going into turn 5 and finished 2nd but I ran a 140 that race so Saturday night I swapped from the cooked q3s that I had to some bridgestones (thanks to lester! I think that's his name, sorry im terrible with names) sunday morning was the first time id been on slicks ever, and pulled a 142 in the first practice, just had to get used to them, so then 2nd practice I go out and feel like im going slower then 1st practice but I ran a 140 flat.. so we had our lunch break and opening ceremonies then the shit hit the fan.. my nerves shot through the root, then I find out that they are combining race 2 and 3 so novice and expert, so we go out and line up, the experts take off and immediately get red flagged.. so we head back up to the pits and the call us right back to pit out. so then we go back out for the warm up lap again amd line up.. and that this point its hot as balls and im ready to get this shit on the road. experts take off and get started, then us. I got off to an amazing start (the whole weekend I though I was going to get worked on the starts) and got up to 6th on the start and pasted into 4th after turn 2 and sat there for a lap so then coming into turn 5 I passed 2 ppl moving up to 2nd. I was going insane in my head bc I didn't expect to be there. so the 3rd or 4th lap coming turn 5 I passed lee kinser for the lead and shit my pants. i lead for a lap then he passed me back down the back straight going into turn 12. i ended up finishing 2nd behind mr. lee.

cBJr, BigBird, lostinbama and 4 others like this.
  17. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

You did good shook thongs up for sure.

odomcaleb likes this.
  18. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

another shit weekend for myself! lol..

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

lostinbama, odomcaleb and jeffr1ey like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dude. This is not twitter. They have real names you can use :crackup:

odomcaleb likes this.