DIY belly pans

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Tristan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards NOT putting full bodywork on my R3's, other than looks I don't see the point. I'm ok with fiberglass repairs, but never made a piece from scratch. Show/tell me your home brewed pans!

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Aluminum roasting pans covered in fiberglassing are popular

3. Tristan

I've done that before, it works but I was wanting something a little less shitty looking. I had an old GSXR belly hanging in the garage, so I cut it way down and made a few brackets to fit it. For a second one I basically used the modded one as a mold by turning it upside down, covering in plastic and draping fiberglass over it. After 2-3 layers I pried it off, trimmed it and Bondo'd to smooth (the plastic was more than a little wavy) End result looks pretty good, though it weighs 1.5x the modded one due to all the Bondo (still vastly lighter than full bodywork) For the tail, I cut off about 25% of a CBR250 tail I had, didn't even have to repaint it. I did pry my wallet open for the 2nd bike and ordered a new R3 SS tail.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

^ what he did.

Use an existing pan as a template, or build your own cardboard template. Fiberglass is a gross mess no matter what, but if you use too much material, it's easy enough to sand it down.

a small package of the sheets works best for fabricating whole pieces.

5. Suzukigsxrnut

Suzukigsxrnut Active Member

I made a mold out of meranti board and hot glued it together. Covered it with clear packing tape then put on a bit of wax. I used 3 layers of Fiberglass cloth. Was only planning to use the lower for one weekend until I recieved my race bodywork but still no sign of the race bodywork so it'll need to do. Not pretty but it works. image.jpeg

Dragginass likes this.
  6. Suzukigsxrnut

Suzukigsxrnut Active Member

image.png image.png

rk97 likes this.
  7. Tristan

Nice work

8. For sure, looks like it belongs there not just a temp fab job.