1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Championship

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 83BSA, May 29, 2016.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

So, let me make sure I understand this . . . . .

A Vintage championship is based upon points accumulated from best 4 regular season finishes + GNF points x 2.

There are only 5 Vintage events this year: Roebling Road in May (this weekend); Road Atlanta Cycle Jam in June; Barber July 2; Talladega Aug.20; and Road Atlanta again in September.

So, if for some reason you can only make 3 of the 5 events, you're screwed vis-a-vis hoping for a championship. Have I got this right? Am I missing something? Like maybe some other Vintage event . . . . ? Mid-Ohio doesn't really count - limited classes, no true cross-over for many classes . . . . It's just weird these days. I went two years ago and none of the classes made any sense.

Cheers,

Dave

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can run any Vintage round anywhere in the country to get the points - and that is for the National Championship. You can also earn Regional Championships which is points accumulation in any given region.

The National Championship is like the Sportsman National Championships which are winner take all at the GNF. Given the nature of Vintage machinery it was decided a long time ago to just have the GNF count for more but not have it count for everything.

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I don't recall it being winner take all at GNF for a National.....did it change to that?....I recall double points.....????

Mid-Ohio is an opportunity for double points too, right?.....back to back races?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I said is like, not is the same. I explained how the Sportsman Series works as an example of how we do National Championships, then explained why Vintage is different. Was it that confusing? :D

My short answer was - this is a National Championship, going to 4 rounds total and expecting to win a National Championship is unrealistic.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess this kinda threw me.

Sorry to hear about today at Roebling....weird, I wondered how that storm would land.

Jax fl not a cloud in the sky.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Right. I've got that. 4 best points finishes + 2 x GNF points.

With the exception of Mid-Ohio, there are only 5 Sportsman weekends on which Vintage events are held? Am I mis-reading the schedule?

Mid-Ohio does not have all Vintage classes. In fact, it actually has very few WERA Vintage classes as the "cross-overs" are somewhat similar for some, while nonexistent for others.

Cheers,

Dave

7. joec

joec brace yourself

3 rounds at gratten.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Ahhh, thanks Joe.

Actually, it was only one round at Gratten (4/30 - 5/1). I missed that. The 6/5/16 schedule has V1-4 practice, but no Vintage races on Saturday. Only V6 & V7 on Sunday.

Anything else on the schedule I missed, or perhaps there is something planned that is not on the posted schedule?

Cheers,

Dave

9. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah, the vintage schedule is tough. One reason my bike sits. :-(

10. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

And that's one reason why there's less races every year... Bucky and Bill are on the road , make a few races and maybe we will get more... Or sit on your ass and bitch....

ringdingding likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have to fix that schedule - it's aa double header so no Vintage.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had one of our larger turnouts in a while at Roebling, Barber is always good and so on. Before that we were getting no one showing up. So too many or too few we have people not running, no way we can fix that.

And on Mid-Ohio it has the majority of Vintage classes and they're direct crossovers. Seems to work really well for a lot of riders every year so not sure what the issue is with it. If you want to email me the problems I'd be glad to work on it with the AMA for 2017.

13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

"Direct crossovers."

OK -
    Where can I find what crosses over to 500GP? The AMA site has no rules for any class. It lists classes, and it provides a schedule for racing the various classes, and I can register for classes, but there are no rules for any classes to determine what might go where. So, "direct crossover" . . . to what?

Racing is expensive and difficult enough without having to solve a puzzle just to get into the program.

Help please.

Cheers,

Dave

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Sooooo, I go to the Vintage Motorcycle Days thread . . . on page 2, Sean posted a "crossover listing." Thank you.

No 500GP crossover listed.

Am I missing something?

Help please.

Again, directions to the AMA rules so that I can read them myself would be most beneficial. But, the AMA seems to want to keep its Vintage rules a secret . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Found the AMA rules. Whew, they are buried . . . .

Beware, "direct crossover" chart is not entirely accurate. Close, but there are significant differences. For example, in 500GP, it is limited to pre-1968 machines. No such limitation in WERA. And, in Clubman 500, it is limited to drum brakes. That is not V2 which allows use of disc brakes.

Now I have to do some figuring . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Dave

I think the pre-1968 thing is a mistake that still hasn't been rectified. The same rules were in place in 250 and 350GP a few years ago and I questioned them due to the fact that it would have ruled out any widecase Ducati. I was told that my bike was OK for both the AMA classes and WERA points (it's a 1968 model).

17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Robin -

Thanks - that is most helpful. With whom did you inquire? I'd like to get this sorted ASAP. Calling the AMA has, historically, a less than optimal solution to any problem. Oh, it gets done, eventually, but the time and effort to results ratio leave a wee bit to be desired, IMHO. Any and all guidance or suggestions (other than to F-myself), are appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Dave

Here's a link to the original class cross-over that Jim Pooler put together, as you will see it lists the WERA 500GP bikes as eligible for Grand Prix 500.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/2010-vintage-motorcycle-days-at-mid-o.256620/

I checked with Mongo and I think he contacted Jim and between them they cleared up the confusion regarding my bike. It was Jim who pretty much put the classes together and he said when I actually spoke to him that he made a mistake with the dates. One thing to remember is that WERA took over the roadrace side of VMD at pretty short notice and the classes were pretty hastily put together and I think the intention was to make all bikes that are considered GP machines in different organisations eligible for their respective Grand Prix class.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do apologize for the confusion. Email me - [email protected] and I'll get it to Jim Pooler and we'll figure it out. The AMA office really has nothing to do with the class specific rules so we can fix things as needed, just have to know what the need is :)

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Great. many thanks.

Cheers,

Dave