1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie planning to take WERA school at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Joel F, May 21, 2016.

1. Joel F

Joel F Member

Hi I'm Joel and I live in Atlanta. I'm brand new to this and have a bunch of questions:

- Is there still going to be a new racer school at Road Atlanta? Mongo said they were probably going to have it on Friday, June 17. Is that definitely happening?

- I don't know anybody who races and this is all very new to me (signed up for my first trackdays June 4 and 5 at Barber). I'll be showing up to Road Atlanta solo. Is it possible for me to pit next to someone who knows their way around a bit and can help me out if necessary? Could someone mentor me through the first weekend? I'll bribe you with good beer afterwards!

- I lucked out and picked up a set of tire warmers from the guy who sold me my bike (2008 Yamaha R6S) but I don't have a generator yet. (I want to make sure I like racing first before buying even more stuff). Will I be able to plug into power from the track at Road Atlanta? Would anyone be willing to help out a newbie and let me plug into their generator for now? Or is it bad form to even ask? Do I even need to use warmers during my first weekend?

- Is the 08 R6S one of the models that requires some sort of tank protector? The rule book said the R6 does but I wasn't sure about my bike. It does have tank sliders on it. Do I need to add extra parts before the race school?

- According to the previous owner of my bike, my R6S has a front end from the regular 08+ R6 (usd forks). Does that mean I would have to run in the superbike class? I've read where Mongo says the difference between supersport and superbike isn't a big deal, but just wondered.

I'm unbelievably excited about doing the Wera school. This is something I've wanted to try for years! Thanks.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hey Joel. I can't answer your questions at this time, but someone here will be along shortly to answer all your inquiries about this racing thing. But I will say, you seem to be excited as shit and I support that. Your first time out will be awesome. It's a stone cold blast. I'll be at RA and if you need anything, look for me. #50 FZR400. Hell, I'll come find you.

Welcome aboard.

Joel F likes this.
  3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Welcome, someone will be around to help you out. If you are unsure of anything, grab a fellow racer or WERA official(in blue shirts) they will point you in right direction. I can't speak on your bike questions, Mongo will probably be along shortly to answer. Pretty sure I will be there, not sure what I'm riding. Could be my 600, Ninjette, possibly SV650(supposed to be buying one before then)

Joel F likes this.
  4. Joel F

Joel F Member

Man, I AM psyched. Been riding the North Georgia mountains for a while and thought I had to do a few years of trackdays before being "good enough" to race with WERA. Once I started reading the forum over the past few weeks I decided I might as well not wait and start racing now.

5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

The schedule does not show a riders school at Road Atlanta. Usually Friday is practice and maybe vintage.

Joel F likes this.
  6. Joel F

Joel F Member

Yeah I originally planned to do the riders school at Barber in July but Mongo mentioned Friday at Road Atlanta so I thought I'd check back. Either one would work but I don't want to wait if I don't have to.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have to update the schedule - bug me later next week and I'll force Emily to find out for sure which day. Yes you have to run Superbike on it because of the front end but not a big deal, run C & B Superbike to get your feet wet.

Joel F likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - power is iffy but you should be able to find some or someone to help you out.

9. Joel F

Joel F Member

Thanks. will do. You will definitely see me out there sometime soon! Can't wait to start learning.

10. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Welcome! Power at road Atlanta is unusual. Most tracks in the southeast provide 110v plugs that you can throw an extension cord on for like $20. RA has these open circuit boards that people put circuit breakers on. You can make one easily. Go to the hardware store and get an outdoor junction box, wire, and a breaker. Someone at the track will show you how to plug in without killing yourself.

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We sell Bridgestone and Michelin tires, so we're usually easy to find. If you get stuck and need help, come by. We'll get you aimed in the right direction. We're looking at renting Generators for that event also. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone there wants you to have fun and will help to make sure you do.

Phl218 and Shenanigans like this.
  12. Joel F

Joel F Member

Thanks I'll definitely come lookin for ya.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a few boxes to tie in.

Bring a looooong extension cord.

Stop by. I have beer. Cold.

Dangit. Need to renew license

14. Joel F

Joel F Member

Awesome. Thanks for the offer. I want to get my feet wet a bit before I jump in and buy a generator but it sounds like it would be a good idea to get one soon.

stickboy274 likes this.
  15. Shenanigans

How much to rent a genny?

16. Shenanigans

You can do it when you pre register:beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

$25/day.

18. Shenanigans