1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is your pet worth?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, May 19, 2016.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry for your loss.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I'm thankful I really haven't had to consider that question yet. My wife and I can't picture life without this little goober. (Here she is at the vet, after eating something in the yard and barfing all over the house.)

IMG_0365.JPG

rocalotopus likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's like with the whole Michael Vick thing. Some people don't consider them family, they're property same as the cows and pigs that make yummy meals or a car you use to go to work. If you have no more use for them you get rid of them.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the 8-10k. I can't afford that for me so the dog would sadly have been put down. Same for me for that matter.

BigBird likes this.
  6. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

A bloody fortune. My wife breeds and shows Golden Retrievers. They're all great, and very important members of the family, especially now that our kids are grown. You wouldn't believe what some people spend on show dogs. One of ours has competed in the Westminster dog show a couple of times (and they've collectively been in hundreds of shows all over the country). The one that went to Westminster had a couple in Houston that sponsored her. They spent $100K in one year just to sponsor (my wife spent quite a bit less, thankfully). They're considered part owner, have certain rights to puppies, etc. It's not my thing, but I do love the dogs. She works hard and pays a lot of the expense. And she doesn't complain much when I buy bikes as a result, so there's that...

[​IMG]

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Love the cat on top of the tractor.:crackup::crackup::crackup:

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I'm easily 7-10k into my golden so far between allergy shots for his first 2 years of life, coupled with an acl repair 2 years ago. Haven't flinched yet.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I want the one driving!

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Over time yeah... It's expected.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

You guys are all good men in a world of worthless sots. You have character. I salute you.

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yup. And totally worth it.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

14. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Not to offend but I would have a hard time spending $1000-$1500 on a dog, cat etc. I grew up with "pets" being very utilitarian. Barn cats, hunting dogs etc. Sadly, I have had to put two down myself. Unless they are making me money some how I just can't see spending that kind of money on an animal. zmore power to those of you who do/can.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Only thing I can really say is, that's sad. You must not have ever had a good dog.

But I kinda feel the same way about all but a handful of humans

dobr24 likes this.
  16. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Not to go too off track, but which MMI?

17. My golden, guess best answer is A LOT!!! She is an integral part of the family. I was the one who didn't want a dog, wife knew I'd cave. Now its "my" dog. When she was about 9 months old I was heading to work and the dog didn't seem quite right so went home after a meeting to check on her and she would barely move lying next to the house. Nice pants on, white Brooks Brothers shirt on picked up the dog, put her in the Jeep all muddy and headed towards the vet. Told the vet to just fix her and do whatever you need to. They asked how much is your limit, I just said give me a courtesy call at 5 grand. Pretty well told me then I was attached to her like one of our kids,.

18. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Actually I have had several great dogs and fortunately most have died of old age. However Two were run over and not dead, put them out of there misery on the spot instead of suffering for hours until I could get to a vet. One had epilepsy and on his last major seizure, after not stopping for 45+ minutes did what I had to do. Pretty rough when you are 17 but life is rough...different people have different thoughts and means to be able to take care of things. Walk a in their shoes things may look different. Growing up in a farm may put a different slant In things too. yeah there are several sub classes of humans that a .50 cent pill is the only cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbotech likes this.
  19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

This is honestly one of the things that's keeping me back from getting a dog again. If I was in the OP's situation, I would probably start crying, because I simply wouldn't be able to afford to fork out even $4k to save the dog, especially in a situation with medium to low chance of survival. I actually didn't even know there is such thing as health insurance for pets until now.

20. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bat an eye to spend my last penny on my Newfoundland. I would do anything for her. When she was about 6 months old, she ate a sock, rushed her to the vet, luckily the vet got her to throw it up. I was so worried about her developing bloat. Now she has Embrace pet insurance but I wouldn't think twice to do whatever I had to do for her. As many of you have said, pets are better than some humans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Gorilla George likes this.