1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Less expensive helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

No fogging issues yet...lol!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That HJC is a good helmet. Personally I wear either HJC or Arai. Shoei doesn't fit right and the newer brands out haven't been around with enough real world experience for me no matter who is running them because they got them free or a deal on them. I've see what I wear save lives thousands of times. The cost to me is a moot point for a couple of major reasons - one, I like being alive. Two I like being able to think straight. While I think a lot of the publicity lately on concussions is driven by goofy bs there is still a lot of good information coming out about them and they're not good, they also get worse the more you have. $5-600 isn't even two full sets of tires. My head is worth it. More than worth it.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

$5-600 isn't even two full sets of tires. My head is worth it. More than worth it.

Might be some people on here that would argue that point. :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To them it's not I'm sure, a lot of people here can do everything I do better than I can - but to me it's the only one I've got so I put a lot of value on it :D

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That top of the line HJC looks tasty.

6. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

I got the top of the line HJC at the beginning of last year and I think it had been out for a couple of years then, because the paint scheme I got was on close out. I think I got this year and 1 more before it is too old to race. And I got it for under $300 I think. It has a antifog that goes in side the shield that just pops on and off. Never had any issues with it. I wear ear plugs, so I don't know if it is noisy or not. I have worn Shoei, Arai, Shark and I would say that the HJC is just as good.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I have alot of crashes on 400/700 Scorpion helmets, and haven't had any head issues. At least two of those crashes had significant helmet damage. As a street helmet I'm not a huge Scorpion fan, because I constantly ride around with the visor just barely cracked open, and the first open position left about an inch gap. But for racing they are awesome. I never had a visor fog up, I wear ear plugs and don't give a shit about noise (I'm racing, I don't know if they, and they've protected my brain multiple times.

I currently wear a Bell, but haven't fully tested it yet. Honestly, it will likely be my last Bell, but not because of crash protection. The visor clips don't seat properly all the time, and I've had the visor pop out of the sides multiple times due to wind buffeting at high speed.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I've had a few scorpions and loved them. Saved my noggin in a nasty crash too with a huge impact on the back of the helmet.

9. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

HJC RPHA 10, great helmet for the price and Snell rated. AJ did have issues with fogging in wet weather, solved with a zip tie.

10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I crash tested 2 scorpion $99 helmets a 400 and a 700. The 700 was beat to hell in my 120 highside. I did ok, i think, still seeing double and hearing voices though

11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

I had a Scorpion 750 and it was a good street lid, but the R2000 has a bigger eyeport and flows a lot more air.. Both important in a race lid.
    The R2000 is also Snell, for those who think inexpensive helmets can't be safe.

Sent from my Samsung S7 while driving, eating, and texting..

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The new Bell Star in matte black can be had for $450 retail ($499 w/ graphics). That new lid is looking pretty sweet to me.

[​IMG]

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm using the Bell Qualifier DLX now (used Scorpions previously), I smacked one pretty hard at Jennings last year and it protected me well enough that I replaced it with another. Haven't had any visor issues.

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

As far as expensive helmets go there is a serious lack of hard data to indicate the marginal increase in cost is offset by any corresponding increase in safety. Are they nicer, quieter, prettier, etc.? Absolutely. Safer? With a lack of quantifiable evidence it all becomes opinion.

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have destroyed quite a few Shoei helmets during my years. Some have no more than a surface scratch on them but won't pass tech without a letter of certification from Shoei, not worth my time.

TJ at Riders Discount :cool:

16. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

+1 Sportbike Track Gear usually has good prices on these. I have 2.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Not me, I always grind big flat spots on them :D

roy826ex likes this.
  18. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I know your in a crunch for time but I looked around all winter and got a short qwest for 270 brand new from Motorsport. New models come in and they dump the old ones. Size and color options were limited of course.

19. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

20. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Check out the helmet test Results from Sharp. There are some interesting numbers on some of the priciest helmets.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/