1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car sale ??? Audi A8

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Apr 5, 2016.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Other than the hood, overall condition? Miles? What are you looking to get for it? Know a guy that lives in n.e. Pa, drives a bunch of miles, and has had quite a few a8s. He does a lot of us own work, so, he might be interested.

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Very good condition. 76K miles. Dunno. What does your pal think?

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'll drop him a line and let you know if he's interested.

4. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Is he painting it with platinum?

Sweatypants likes this.
  5. I wouldn't buy it as is.

I know everyone is different, and I have no idea how much it costs to paint a vehicle vs how much return you will get after painting it. But I know that I wouldn't buy a vehicle knowing that I had to paint it as soon as I got it.

6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Hold on , body parts have Vin#'s . When did that start ? I never heard that before . How is that even possible. :confused:

7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

If you get the hood AND front bumper cover re-sprayed (with a blend into the fenders), you would have a very plausible story about repairing rock chips / got behind the damn salt spreader. Since the body gaps will still line up perfectly, and the aluminum body isn't easily repaired (and is $$$), I think it would be a benefit.
    My neighbor knows an excellent paint shop or 2 in the area. His black '02 vette's hood looks better than it did on the showroom floor.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not interested in buying it (got no place to park it and it's completely the opposite of what I need) but what's the going rate on one of these used?

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

I could have sworn I've seen them on some Japanese cars, but my memory may be failing me

That's not saying much...:Poke:

Eskimo likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you get it repainted. I would suggest some very good before and after pictures letting a potential buyer know 'why.'
    Call several Audi dealer and ask who they use to shoot paint.

As for the records, I keep a folder in the house and anything that gets done to the car (Oil change, tires, maint., etc.) gets my receipt thrown in there.
    It becomes a chronological record of all maintenance and that goes with the car sale to the new owner.

It's not Broome level comprehensive with all receipts co-ordinated and collated by size, but it's a pretty good snapshot that maintenance was done.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

My 97 4Runner has the vin etched into the windows....i have seen it on other Toyotas. Not surevabout the body panels or doors but it is probably there as well

BigBird likes this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Rich can you please call Fred at your convenience and he will give you back story. Trust your collective judgment. Very much appreciate all your replies.

Eskimo likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

That's because its old and busted, not new and shiney. I bet if the patches were symmetrical you'd consider it.

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

lol'd. seriously. single panel, no blending, can be taken off and put on a rack and sprayed is a $400-600 job all day. $1500?!?! you can get a DECENT entire car paintjob for $1500. i'd get it painted, its starring the buyer right in the face, even if you break even on the difference, it'll for sure help sell it quicker. why do you think every dealership on earth eats a few hundo and has bumpers resprayed on every used car? its something totally stupid that detracts from the presentation.

15. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

I had an 01 S10 Blazer and it had VIN stickers on the doors, tailgate and hood. Probably more places too.

BigBird likes this.
  16. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Depends. Probably won't add much value getting it fixed but it will be much easier to sell

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Hood painted, $983. Car sold, $13,500.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

So, anyone want to paint a four-door dually (it's mine - not for sale)? :D
    I was quoted near $5000 for a proper job that included removal of anything that would otherwise be taped over. Does that sound reasonable?
    It's a 2002...I'm tempted to rattle can/rhino line it. :crackup:
    Would rather do it right and finish with Ducati Monster Dark...there's a PPG code for it.

BigBird likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Trying to make your truck unreliable and a maintenance nightmare? :Poke:

Razr and Phl218 like this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So, rattle can and rhino line for reliability and maintenance dream. Makes perfect sense. :D
    :moon:

20. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Rhino lining! Prob less than 5 hundie said and done!

Can I borrow the other $4500?