1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chump Car Racing (endurance)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hawk518, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

https://www.chumpcar.com/

Looks like I am building a team. Looking to hit the last year of the year in Sebring, FL but may do more (some potential team members want to find other races to do.

Someone here has done this, right?

Looking for to hear from any experienced racer. :)

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nik VonMatt does it, but with a different series I think. He's nikponcherello on here.

I think in summary, it's a lot of fun - but not the same as 2-wheeled roadracing. It costs about the same, but you get to split costs with the team. They ran a Ford Taurus and did pretty well.

Hawk518 likes this.
  3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am the only two-wheel guys in the mix (possible team).
    Most of the team, are childhood friends, that grew up watching circle track racing (1/8 of a mile) and end of year demolition (figure 8), and race what you brought endurance racing at the old Hialeah Raceway (SoFL).

By the time we have enough money to actually get us to the raceway, the raceway was turned into a Target/Applesbees/Lowes Center. For better or worse, a lasting memory being that my last professional gig in SoFL was conducting the geotechnical exploration and foundation designs for the property. I have not forgotten the feeling of that day.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If you need driver let me know :)
    I been doing Lemons for last couple years. Will be racing this weekend.

Hawk518 likes this.
  5. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who does chumpcar and does very well with it. I could try to hook you up with him if you have questions

Hawk518 likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yo, Bitchcakes....

We did a LeMons race last year. There's just as much time, money, prep as any other form of racing, but it was a blast. We were just talking the other day about needing to get our car back together, or building a new one.

7. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Yeah, I've done it a couple of times. Very fun form of racing with your buddies on your team. OP should definitely give it a try.

Fooyoung, what car did you use? Cool that you did it.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We've got a well used 1994 Nissan Sentra SER. We were the fastest car on track during the rain, but the V8's ate our lunch when it dried out. Then the tranny let go in hour 7. We bought the thing with a cage, 2 seats and two sets of belts for $750. We just need something with a little more speed. Maybe a Prelude or a 5 series.

9. bitchcakes

Hawk518 likes this.
  10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

This is still a go on this side. We have not secured a vehicle yet. My friends want to build. I want turnkey.

We were thinking two-person team. Endurance wise, I am go. My friend is a bit less sure but he is the one wanting to limit to just too.

I still owe a few calls here but I want to have my question in order as I appreciate the time.

Will keep you all posted.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

12. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

I have a nice E320 for the next Race or Lemons Race FS....................$400 drive it away

Car is in NH..............

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Passing this along to my buddy. Although, I am the main backer, I am assigning all vehicle decisions to him. I am just flying home and getting behind the wheel. :)

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

PM'ed you.

15. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

PM back and txt

Hawk518 likes this.
  16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks. Forwarded your contact.

17. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Some friends and I built an MR2 with a 1MZ engine, but have only entered 2 races and have yet to finish. Some of the other parts of the build got a little out of hand by not following the KISS rule. I went along with it not out of competition, but because the build phase is kind of fun. I have bikes to get my racing fix. That said, I'm not sure how much longer our car will be legal if they implement their new Market/Performance Rule. It is meant to filter out cars with high power to weight ratios, and doesn't take into account that many of those cars have to make at least 1 more pit stop due to low fuel tank volume (capped at +2 from stock). That said, if we were to do it again, I would try harder to talk my teammates into a different type of car.

All in all, it's pretty fun, but I don't think it's as fun or as cost efficient as bike endurance racing.

18. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I got to be a driver on a team last year at Laguna in a Miata. It was insanely fun, my first time ever racing in 4 wheels, and first time I had driven a manual car in over 10 years (you really never forget). I definitely wasn't the fastest out there, but it was a LOT of fun. Some people are really serious about it, some people just for fun. We were a team of 4 drivers, and all of us had at least a spin. Each day was scored individually, I think we finished 3rd or 4th in our class on the last day.

19. bitchcakes

Thank you. We won overall last year too with the same car and the same drivers so we were all really pumped to do it again. We actually entered three cars this year (two in the chump class, and one in EC). One blew up the motor about three hours in, another got punted in the infield so hard from behind that the gas tank got knocked clean off the car, but the EC car went on to claim the overall win. The cars are all old e34 BMWs with minimal modifications. These cars will easily finish a 14 hour race on one set of tires - we have run two races on a set even. Not sure you could ever do that with bike tires on the track. Bikes or cars whatever, it's just fun keeping something going that long on the track. Especially if you can win.

Hawk518 likes this.