1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deepwater Horizon - the movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've already decided I'll pass and I don't know that much about the actual job. No way hollywood will be accurate, it doesn't play to their normal bullshit.

2. I do know that they used an actual 6th Generation drilling rig for the movie, I can tell it from the trailer. That was a real rig floor, real pipe, real mud, real Shakers (the things the mud was cascading over are called "Shakers", they separate the cuttings so the mud can be circulated back downhole), real gauges, real Slips (the red things with handles that hold the pipe in the Rotary Table), etc.

It isn't all fake or computer generated, that was real stuff. So I don't know, it might be ok.

3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You should tell BP to give the 278 million back to Cameron. :D There was also the small issue of two pieces of drill pipe stuck in the shear ram. There are limits to what can be sheared. The erosion didn't happen instantly as sand and oil flowed for the entire time around the drill pipes.

BTW, there are 20K BOP rams on the market.

The oil is not just oil, while the solution under pressure it also has a gas component that when the solution pressure/temperature drops below the bubblepoint, the gas forms and seperates from the oil unless contained.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I hear Danny is going to play Broome...

[​IMG]

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I'll wait for the netflix to watch just to see how dramatic Hollywierd made it. Maybe make it a drinking game, beer shotgun for every mistake caught.

David

crashman likes this.
  6. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

A lot of the filming was done on a mock up of a drilling rig that they build in an old Lowe's parking lot near my house. It was pretty impressive and big. Movie magic at its best.

7. Actually, from what I can gather from the Trailer, I think Wahlberg is playing me. :D

panthercity likes this.
  8. I know they didn't take a rig out of operations to use it for a movie. But I am saying that is real stuff. It isn't like Armageddon where none of that shit was real. It was all fake and stupid as hell.

9. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

It was big..like the whole parking lot big. They built a wall of shipping containers around the entire set. After they were finished they tore the thing down, now I see why it cost so much to make a movie.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll go into any front end decisions like how many centralizes were used vs. recommended.

12. I have no idea what kind of system it is. I am not sure who makes it or anything like that.

I don't actually work on the rigs anymore. Im shorebased now; Subsea Superintendent over our rigs in Africa. I still go to the rigs time to time, but for me to have to go out to the rig, it means something big is going on.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

On a semi-related topic...I heard yesterday that Exxon was pulling out of ALL carbon based exploration..oil, tar sands, etc etc......I can understand how the depressed prices have slowed or even stopped exploration but to get out of the business????

14. Wow that is crazy.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Except for the part of Directional Drillers saving the world. We all know that they do that every day they are on a rig...:D

16. ...yep...from the break room. :crackup:

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nope, you'll be played by Forest Whitaker. You know wh(e)y(e). :crackup:

[​IMG]

MikeR likes this.
  18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Ya, you need cookies and coffee while you tell the whole rig how great you are and the stories about your Harleys, boats, diesel pickups and ex wives.

The best is when you go in to the Company Mans office and the Co Man, DD and Mud Man are all trying to out drill each other.:D

jimmyv138 and Gorilla George like this.
  19. cobes

cobes Well-Known Member

wharever I'm sure it will be dramatic and silly. A lot of oilfield people know what actually happened vs dramatized events. It was a tragic day none the less.
    What I think will be funny is my family might have a clue as to the positions I've worked. When I tell them I'm a company man they don't quite get it.