1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Evo's are very similar HP wise and usually are higher than the comparable STi. Both are great cars.

That being Said...you can probably get a new BMW 340i for about the same price as the STi/EVo and just chip/exhaust/intake and be in the upper 300 whp in a more "adult" package.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dave, if it's just you and no kids and you're not an over grown freak of genetics, the S3 might be okay. It is not the roomiest sedan out there.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I preferred driving the 2008 EVO X over the STi's. CAI, HKS exhaust & camber adjustment, handling was insane.

BigBird likes this.
  4. grandboy2

grandboy2 Active Member

Pontiac G8

5. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Stock bottom end? If so, how long do they last making that kind of power?

Isn't the Chevy SS basically the latest version of the same thing? ie, a rebadged Holden with an LS3?

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Funny, I was just about to remind everyone that the operative word in this thread was "reliable."

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I don't know about his, but the ones I'm aware of going that high on whp means cracking it open. I believe guys are pretty safe in the 400whp range on stock internals.
    If you make 400+hp and get it to hook, it's amazing. Like holy f#!%, Ludacris speed fast.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Operative as in easily removed with surgical application of boost? :flag:

9. L8RSK8R

Sean - I've no idea how long this one will last. Motor was originally built in 2009 (ARP bolt sheared off) so had to do another rebuild in 2010 :/
    I've no idea how many miles/hours it's done since then. Car hasn't been on track since 2013.
    Guesstimating 20-25 events so far.
    Stock crank & bearings.

10. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I just did a similar search and learned to stay away from the BMW 8-Cylinders, especially if you go 2013 or older to keep price down. 2014 had significant updates on the 550i motor to help reliability. I went with a 2013 535i, to stay with the twin scroll turbo I-6, and it makes near 300HP stock. Tune, and simple upgrades can get it between 350-375HP reliably, so it's close to your mark. Their are more tuning options for the 335i than 535i. Whatever you do, get a warranty, either CPO or 3rd party. Parts and repairs can be expensive. I've only had mine for 3 weeks, but I'm loving it so far.

11. L8RSK8R

2014 Hyundai Equus, keep it in sport mode, premium gas = 429 HP. Mine has 125K miles, no issues yet. Oil changes every 8K to 10K miles.
    You can find them for about $40K with less than 20K miles.
    I just relpaced original front pads at 122K miles.

12. Sean Jordan

I'm not really interested in the full-size luxobarges.

Unless they have seriously upgraded suspensions/brakes. (Like a CTS-V).

Oh, that reminds me. The ATS-V. What's the used market like for those? As I recall, Car & Driver gushed about it. Anyone driven one of those?

Nevermind. Too new to have a good used market.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I believe the operative word has been revealed as sedan. Or 400. Eh, Sean will be around to get all huffy and correct me soon enough. :moon:

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You may not have to go used. I've done no research, but I don't think the thing is selling well at all. You might be able to get a new one at a huge discount.

16. Sean Jordan

17. Sean Jordan

New ATS-Vs are selling for 70k+. I don't think they will discount them THAT hugely.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not get a 996 and build the motor so it don't pop and pocket $15 ~ $20K?

19. Sean Jordan

How much would it cost to add two more doors?

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, it might have been worth the 30 seconds to research that. First ATS-V coupe that popped up on my search was listed for $87k (WTF?). I figured it was a $60k car and with discounts and incentives it might be down to $48-52k otd.

How in the hell do they justify car prices like that? I make a lot of money and I would NEVER consider spending that much on a car. I have a lot of wealthy friends, and I don't know anyone that would spend $90k on a little sedan.