1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Vintage Schedule Confirmation

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by busapilot, Mar 12, 2016.

1. busapilot

busapilot Well-Known Member

Please confirm vintage racing (V) has been taken away from 8/6-7 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA?

Clarify abbreviations: HM, K, S

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For now. I had it on one region and not others. Have to talk it over with the boss more and see if we can do it.

3. busapilot

busapilot Well-Known Member

Much appreciated. VIR would be a great (reasonable) substitute for Summit.

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's a bummer if it has as that is one meeting I was definately planning to do.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless you look at track rental rates :D

6. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

Well there goes my fourth Vintage round again! :(

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know, I know. Trying to figure out how to do it all and not lose a bunch of money. Still working on it.

WERA33 likes this.
  8. jeff johnson 32

jeff johnson 32 Well-Known Member

8-7 and 8-8 will be the first weekend on the newly resurfaced track at VIR.
    It would sure be nice if the Vintage group would speak up and send enough e-mails for confirmation of their commitment to show up and ride.
    Maybe open up pre-entry now? The VIR calendar is showing vacant for Thursday so maybe something can be done to include N2 track days group at VIR like is being done at the Pittsburgh track? After all, they are shared by the same owners. The VIR calendar is here -----> http://virnow.com/track/calendar/
    Cheers

9. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I'd be in for 3 classes and would register as soon as it's available. I know Bucky, Busa and a couple others (paging Buck Awesome) from up this way would be there too. Could probably even drag Mr. Clancy out of retirement for VIR.

10. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

We have, several times in several different threads over the last couple of months. Many of us offered to pre-enter as well, but if the logistics won't work for WERA, than I am not sure what else we can do?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have it be more than half a dozen people would help. The sad reality is we know no matter what, Vintage racing won't pay the bills. Sucks but it's a fact of life - and it was that way prior to the cutting of events so that's not the issue. It's just lack of interest from the majority of racers in the machinery (and more so I believe the work it takes compared to a modern bike) and as the bikes get older there are less of them viable. A V1 bike when I got into this was only 15 or so years old, now they're 40 - the same age hand shift stuff was then. Part of it too is us being set in our ways with the classes and taking a long time to do something like V8. Hopefully that will pick up.

Anyway, all the promises and even pre entries don't help, people still back out for whatever reason and there's just not enough on the best turnout to pay bills for a day at VIR without figuring out other things to bring in money too. I will keep trying I promise. I want Vintage racing and I want it to be at VIR.

ringdingding likes this.
  12. charles

charles The Transporter

While it may sting, there's no substitute for the truth and the hard facts; it's business and that takes planning and money. Thanks for the concern and continued efforts.

Metalhead and ringdingding like this.
  13. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

At the recent AHRMA Roebling round I went to there were 188 entries on Saturday and roughly the same on Sunday for the true vintage classes (I'm not counting any of their classes I would consider modern). These numbers come from the posted MyLaps results.

That does not strike me as a lack of interest. To reinforce that there were a number of freshly built machines there as well in the vintage classes. Cutting the number of vintage events below 6 was a mistake as I think many perceived it as WERA slowly closing down vintage. WERA Vintage is probably still viable at this point but will require effort and promotion to return it to where it was in 2006/2007.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

I attended the same AHRMA event, and totally agree with Jim's factual observations. The question is: what can, or will, WERA do regarding vintage?

15. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

"Ask not what WERA can do for vintage, ask what vintage can do for WERA?!?"

If running vintage classes costs WERA money, then as a business no one can expect them to continue doing it. I don't know if it's a case of schedule it, promote it and they will come or if it should be up to the vintage racers to show up, prove its viability and then we will see the effort and promotion.

I love the vintage stuff and the people that are associated with it, and I've also really enjoyed my short time doing it with WERA, and as much as us vintage guys love holding on to the past, things do, ultimately change. I don't pretend to have any answers, or any ideas for that matter really, other than to say I will probably support it 'til the bitter end, when they pry the clip-ons from my cold, dead fingers.......:D

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Funny…and true. It's all up to the riders to race, and for WERA to promote. And yes, things do change as you put it….

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So how could cutting the races be the issue when AHRMA runs less events in any given region? Using their business model our issue is that we still run too many.

FWIW - I absolutely love Vintage racing and will do whatever I can to keep running these classes. However the bills still need to be paid or all of WERA goes away so it's a battle.

racr28 likes this.
  18. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

I run both WERA and AHRMA, right now there are three of each in north central, however the schedule conflict makes me choose between them. As with any business if you dont promote you will not sell. The low vintage turn out with WERA makes it less fun and therefore less atractive. WERA does offer me the opportunity to run with the new bikes with a bump up which is good, but then there is no double header which is bad. Perhaps some good ideas and promotion will allow a recovery.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

At the end of the day, it's all about decisions. This could end up being a dialogue between relatively small number of people, so others should join in depending upon their interest level.
    How many vintage entries, if the number is known, for each event, in each class, to create a cost-effective situation?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It varies by track of course but I'll see if I can get an idea.