1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Typical pointless update by Grouchy

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Jan 28, 2016.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If you actually want to race in 2016 load that bike up and take it to a race shop and have them safety wire it for you. While it's there have them give the bike a once over for the sake of everyone else sharing the track with you

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. kildagin

kildagin Well-Known Member

http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=14516#/forumsite/21033/topics/14516?page=1

Check here for some decent pictures of safety wiring the different parts. I don't believe you need to send it to a shop to get your bike ready. The new riders handbook has a good list of what needs to be addressed if you aren't already looking at it. PM me if you have more questions, I can call and talk you through it, not much going on today.
    Mike

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  3. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

N2 is doing a race licensing school at Road Atlanta at the end of March. If you want do it let me know and I will help safety wire your bike there.

4. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Was planning on going to Roebling with WERA. Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed. Hopefully some guys at Roebling can help me make sure all my sh*t is together.

5. slowzx6

slowzx6 Well-Known Member

I'll be at roebling on a black zx6r #320. Will you be there for the practice day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. kildagin

kildagin Well-Known Member

I looked closer at the link that I sent you. looking specifically at the banjo bolts for the brake calipers. You do not need to wire those, and I would recommend not wiring them unless you are confident and have a steady hand. RTV on that bolt is sufficient for WERA tech, and I may be speaking out of turn, but I recall Sean possibly saying he prefers the RTV for most folks, as it removes the threat of a ham fisted clown like me drilling a hole in the banjo for brake fluid to escape from. With the remainder of your wiring stuff, if something doesn't seem right, throw the question on here. I am way in the red on asking stupid questions to other folks, so answering some will help my karma.

7. TheGrouchyCat

Haha thanks kildagin. slowzx6 my spring break is 12th to 20th so I should be able to make it to practice day (I assume you mean a trackday on that Friday). Just installed a map for my power commander and got the GP shift quickshifter working.

slowzx6 likes this.
  8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Safety wire the big shit - oil drain plug, fill cap, radiator, caliper bolts. Bring a tube of RTV with you when you roll through tech. WERA and everyone there wants you to be out racing, you won't get booted out of the paddock and forced to go home if you missed safety wiring one or two bolts. They'll probably tell you to RTV it in the mean time and just safety wire it after the race weekend.

Gorilla George and TheGrouchyCat like this.
  9. slowzx6

slowzx6 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hope to come down Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Wire:

Front axle
    Pinch bolts
    Brake caliper bolts
    Brake pad retainer pins (I just take them out and deal with re doing them everytime)
    Rad cap
    Oil drain
    Oil fill
    Hose clamp the oil filter and safety wire or buy a K&N and wire it.
    Water pump drain bolt
    Shift rod bolt (or at least thread lock it, just do it)
    Exhaust muffler mount
    Rear axle

7-8 twists per inch.

And show up to the damn race track.

Here's some pictures with no r-clips on a new r-1. Customer was providing his own r-clips but wanted to make it through tech for the first and switched it all over at night. Shifter was less than ideal but didn't want to drill the OEM knuckle.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TheGrouchyCat and ceebus like this.
  11. This.

It isn't like going to the Principal's Office or anything like that. They WANT to help you get on the track. They are just doing their job to help everyone stay safe. They are there to help you. If you miss something, they'll just point it out and ask you to take care of it. No big deal.

12. Keep in mind you can safety wire or loctite or silicone anything you want.

Minis don't require much, but my Grom has the full safety wire treatment just like big bikes. And the Panigale being a big twin vibrates alot, you wouldn't believe all the shit that is safety wired and/or loctited on it.

13. TheGrouchyCat

14. TheGrouchyCat

Also on the search for a pitbull front stand and rear if it's a good deal, and some clip-ons.

15. Put a stock link on it those lowering links are crap and not super stock legal.

16. TheGrouchyCat

Am I gonna have to lift the bike some funky way to change it out?

17. TheGrouchyCat

I have a motorcycle jack stand I'll use that.

18. Or regular jack stands will work for under the pegs. You can get them at Walmart for like $20.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

If there was one thing I wish I would have done when I started riding my motorcycle in irregular circles with a bunch of other crazies as fast as I could, it would be to not sweat the small stuff.

That tire looks fine. Looks like just a bunch of additional rubber that decided to hitch a ride from a previous track excursion. These also look like track day tires. I would just get as fast as you can on them before moving up to race rubber. If you decide to use warmers on those track day tires, keep them on low. They won't need much heat unless it's cold out. Don't worry about wear right now. Just get out there and twist the grip. Have fun!

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. TheGrouchyCat

Yea I realized I was just picking up boogers which sounds a lot less badass than shredding tires. :p But I'll get there eventually. I've got Graves warmers and I think they're single temp so just keep them on for a few minutes before I get on the track?