1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wear sunscreen, bishes

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Feb 16, 2016.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is a PSA to make sure and wear sun screen, hats etc while at the track.

And if you have a new "mole" that keeps coming back have someone look at it.

That is all.

Hawk518 likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It also may or may not go without saying but make sure your are getting/producing adequate vitamin D. Its your body's natural sunscreen. But if you're not supplementing with it then you need to be getting adequate (reasonable) sun expose so your body can produce it.

3. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

uh oh. What are you sayin? Hope you're ok...

4. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

Hope all is well. I keep sunscreen with my spare parts and tools.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ummmm......no. Vitamin D is not a natural sunscreen. While sun exposure does cause Vitamin D to be produced in the body, it has absolutely no effect on protecting your skin from sun exposure.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Crazy timing too.....Ricky Carmichael just posted today on his IG getting a big chunk cut out of his arm and it looks like another sliced out of his lower lip.

I guess I may have worded that incorrectly. Vitamin D doesn't act as a sunscreen, to protect you from burning so to speak. But there have been studies linked to Vit D helping to prevent many type of cancer including skin.

8. ChemGuy

Its
    Thanks but its all good.

It's the 'good kind' of skin cancer, basal cell carcinoma. Hopefully that's all ill evwr have.
    Getting a chunk taken out from the crown of my head in 2 weeks.

Hopefully a reminder to those younger peeps to keep the screen and hats on.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

"Boony" hat and spf 30 stay in my gear box. I also like the compression heat-gear. Long sleeves that breathe are better than sun screen that sweats off.

Makes getting leathers on/off easier too.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Again not to belabor the point, but very limited studies and again no on the skin cancer.
    http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/vitamin-d-fact-sheet

11. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Good timing, I am having a chunk of basal cell carcinoma removed from my face tomorrow 45 years of race tracks.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Another thing to consider as well is your choice of sunscreen. Don't just automatically assume they're all the same.....and I'm not talking about SPF numbers. I'm talking about the ingredients contained in them. Some sunscreens (and by some I mean most of the commercially available ones) are loaded with all sorts of f'ed up chemicals that actually PRODUCE free radicals and other harmful effects when exposed to the sun that subsequently get absorbed into your skin causing additional damage (including cancer) to it.

Natural mineral based ones (zinc/titanium dioxide) are much better for you than the chemical based ones that have shit like parabens, oxybenzone, PABA and retinal palmitate. So do yourself a favor and research before you buy/use them.

13. ChemGuy

SPL - That's Blasphemy talking about chemicals like they can be bad for you....

Good luck at the docs Bee. They doing the MOHS procedure?

14. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

This x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Lost my sister in law to cancer at 50. Started out as a mole on her leg...

15. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I know a lot more about basal cell carcinoma and the MOHS procedure than I wish I did. My collection of impressive scars is steadily growing...

Use plenty of spf45 and reapply during the day, and get a hat with a 4-inch brim.

Good luck to us all!

t11ravis likes this.
  16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Well, if you're going to get cancer, this is the stuff to get. Had a nice piece cut out of my cheek 15 years ago or so, no other issues since. Good luck with it.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I see the dermatologist once a year for this very reason. They do a detailed mapping of my entire body with two physicians in the room, noting down anything on a chart with the size and appearance of any "spots."

They compare this data year over year to recognize any differences that may warrant further examination/excision.

Nothing yet as I approach my 40's, but living in Florida and being less than prudent with sunblock in my younger years, I'm not taking any chances.

t11ravis and John29 like this.
  18. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

After standing around in the sun all last year, I learned that just having any ol' sunscreen handy isn't just enough, make sure it's decent stuff that is easy to apply and is comfortable. I typically use the spray on stuff because hanging on to all the camera stuff with greasy hands is bad :) I keep a small travel sized container of regular sunscreen cream for my face/neck.

19. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

And yes, a hat's cool factor is inversely proportional to how well it keeps the sun off of you. :)