1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Alarm

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Feb 11, 2016.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

that might be better than nothing.

after having one stolen I went with a 40w solar panel, deep cycle batt and a nice aftermarket two-way car alarm.

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'm getting a new trailer built by Intech, getting a little more paranoid the sooner the pick up date comes. I'll discuss loJack/ alarm options/ rates with my insurance company as the trailer will not be parked near my house when not in use.

4. Interesting, i am glad this thread popped up. I had never even thought about putting LoJack on a trailer.

And i do like the idea of an alarm.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I wonder if you could just hide a cheap smartphone in the trailer and track it with that, maybe with the Life360 app.

7. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

IMHO Intech is as good as it gets. What are the details on yours?

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

26' x 8.5' flat nose bumper pull all aluminum , spread 7k tandem axles with 16" wheels, 9' interior height, two 7' x 5' car escape doors on each side, generator cabinet on the trailer tongue, 60" wide double door on the curb side, 25' electric awnings on both sides, rv style sofa bed, full cabinets in the front and some top cabinets on the road interior side, roof ac, electric tongue jack, tons of e-track etc.

Silver frost exterior and interior with black cabinets, dark gun metal grey 7 spoke wheels. It's the Icon package with a few added exterior features, the interior is a little overboard but it was fun designing it with them. My wife said $40k max, I think I was less than $100 under :D

It should be able to accommodate both cars and bikes and one other thing but I'm not telling yet. Picking it up in about a month.

9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

A house I built for a customer a few years back got hit for copper pipe and some wire despite a construction fence. The owner bought a couple similar to this and we put them up at entrances. The motion pick up was pretty good and once the alarm went off, they were loud. We did not have any other attempted break ins, so I can't say for sure, but I would guess they would scare off most petty crooks; especially in the dark. I wouldn't put all my faith in it though.

If you are concerned about the entire trailer being stolen, you might also look into trackable gps locator. I almost had my work trailer stolen and looked into them. Some are not too expensive and you just pay when you activate the tracking.

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Awesome! With a 9' interior I assume it's going behind a motorhome? Did you buy it through RPM?

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Doberman.

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'll tow it with my Ram 3500 for now, hopefully a motorhome in the near future. I bought/ designed it through Steve @ Capitol custom trailers.

13. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Saw a trailer with a parking patrol boot on it for security, thought that was a great idea.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Check out Spot Trace. The unit is about $100, and tracking services are $100/year. For $8/month, it seems to me that it's very cheap insurance. You're warned if it moves and you can track it when it does.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=129

The regular Spot is a great idea if you travel alone on your bike, especially in areas without cell coverage (like the Dragon, or the Rockies, etc.). You go over the edge somewhere and get disabled, and you might not be found until you starved. A good idea for hikers in rugged country, too.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I would think that the spot track unit might be kind of hard to use for an enclosed trailer. They talk about not mounting it under any kind of metal........so where would you mount the spot trace except maybe on the roof of the trailer? So then you have to deal with rain/hot sun beating down on it/ect. Does anyone here have any experience with the spot trace AND using it for an enclosed trailer?

16. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Many trailers have a plastic or fiberglass nose on the top front, in which case the Spot could be mounted to the inside. Either that, or cut a small window in the roof and seal a piece of ABS or Plexiglas over the opening. If Plexiglas, paint it black or matching roof color to keep the sun off the Spot and the plastic. On larger trailers with a top vent, many of those covers are plastic and a Spot Trace could be mounted to the underside.