1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancestry commercials

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Feb 11, 2016.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

23&me is part of Google :eek:

2. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

I know my parents, my mom died when I was in 8th grade and my dad is a worthless scum bucket. I know who most of my biological family is, just don't really know them. I try to avoid them as much as possible actually. I know there are ways to see an actual blood line, one of my cousins (not biological) did it. I don't care as much about that, I just want to know where I came from in general. I was always told I was a descendant of Frank James though. I would like to put that theory to the test to know for sure.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I thought the whole Ancestry thing was some Mormon plot so when Armegedon occurs they know who to cast into the abyss....I could be wrong....

fastfreddie likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

As someone that went through that a few years ago... do it for your kids benefit, not yours. I ended up with 8 1/2 brothers & a 1/2 sister. Plus 15+ cousins. My father had no clue I was ever born. My mother still tries to deny the fact I exist but was just barely a teenager when she had me! You hold the cards since you have "their" grandchild. Adoption records shouldnt be hard to research. If you'd like some tips on how to fast track the search... shoot me a pm.
    My son was asking questions about family history that I didn't want to "lie" about. My father was a "tough sell" at first. Ended up doing one of those store DNA tests where you swab your mouth. Took him about 6 months to submit his sample. Ironically I was the first of 3 "illegit" kids to show up from my fathers side. My other Uncles had fathered some mystery kids...lol. The report confirmed I was 99.9% his son.

5. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

I'm a young white kid from Cullman Alabama and I recently sent my DNA of to Ancestry.com and this is what came back to me:

[​IMG]

Now I am so happy. I have always felt that I was African. I mean, I never really hated rap and I never really like country? Right?

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Clayton Bigsby?
    [​IMG]

7. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Just because my ancestors came from Ireland doesn't mean my family is necessarily Irish. And my dads family has been in the US longer than we can trace. We assume they're English, but have no concrete proof. Id love to try it someday, if someone is stupid enough to pick me to clone, all the power to em.

8. ton

ton Arf!

do they provide any indication of timeframe and sex of ancestors from your "origin"? fascinating stuff.

9. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I have know idea where I come from, all the people that knew are dead. Besides I could care less. I am from Ohio thats all I need to know.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Googling the etymology of your last name will pretty much tell you the same thing as these tests.
    Hint: I'm not Chinese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_(surname)

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Personally I think this would be awesome. I could leave the cloned me at home and let him get his ass beat by the ol lady, while I go drinking and carousing.

Win/win

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What about when the clone sneaks out first?:D

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh please even your clone would be askeert of your wife! :p:)

Rain Director and Banditracer like this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I believe this has been a topic on a few different tv shows and/or movies. Everything is cool until you come home from drinking and carousing to find the clone banging your wife.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I don't care. Take some of the heat off me. I don't stay this skinny from aerobics IF you know what I'm saying. Lol

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

or 5 of them banging your wife.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Personally ,I never understood how people did NOT know what they were. That was always really odd to me,but that might be because I knew everyone off the boat growing up.

18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I would guess for some because people in families lie and/or hide the truth.
    Ever watch the documentary "Little White Lie"?
    I mean I get that's the extreme but imagine if someone's Great grandparent lied it could completely change what you assume to be fact.
    The DNA stuff fascinates me.

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

wait till you find out that one cf your great aunts was a madam whose name was 3 way mary

DucatiBomber likes this.
  20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My mother's paternal family came over in fits and starts, and was a large Irish Catholic family. At one point a sect (?) broke off and came west. A couple of years ago my parents were touring the Eastern seaboard and ran across a fellow wearing a sweatshirt with "English Family Reunion 19XX" (my mother's maiden name). My dad mentioned that the fellow in the sweatshirt was a dead ringer for the males in my mother's family, and it turns out that there is a tenuous blood line relationship. Would be cool to discover another branch in the family tree and see how far it goes.

Also, my blood line ends with me, as my sister doesn't have kids, and we had to adopt to start our family. Might be cool to see about finding my Tarheel relatives some day, as my paternal side split off sometime after the Civil War, and we don't know of anyone left from the folks who stayed behind.