1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 Yamaha FZR400 superstock $2500

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by FZR, Feb 10, 2016.

1. FZR

FZR Active Member

Brakes: Nissin MC, EBC race rotors and pads
    Suspension: RaceTech springs (.85Kg/mm) and emulators, NEW seals and bushings. FOX ride height adjustable twin clicker
    Motor: rebuilt with very low time, 5 angle valve job, springs and intake valves replaced, head milled .020thou, 1mm over Yamaha pistons and rings.
    Carbs: Factory jet kit with #20 pilot jets, "torque tube" velocity stacks, K&N filter
    Exhaust: D&D 4-2-1
    Body: mix of AirTech and Sharkskins
    Controls: Woodcraft pegs, Vortex clip-ons, Daytona temp gauge
    NEW lightweight gel cell battery
    Spares: kit to raise rearsets, gearing, clutch, levers etc.
    Gearing, 520, DID evo chain
    Front, rear stands and tire warmers available. Bike is less than 350lbs race ready and has the required race thickness case covers
    The bike is completely rebuilt by myself, it only needs tires and a rider. I raced FZR's from 2000 to 2006 with 9 first place finishes and many podiums, everything is ready to go accept me, I just can't get to the track anymore, someone should be using this bike. Please text or email any questions. Thank you, Jason Owens (540)392-9343 [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Where did you find oem yamaha 1mm over piston and rings? I built my 400 back in 2008 and they were discontinued then...

3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Nice bike .... Fair price....

4. FZR

FZR Active Member

The motor was rebuilt by me a long time ago, maybe 2009? It has been stored properly and started every now and then. I will be cleaning the carbs right before someone comes to buy it, I suspect the pilot jets are clogged to some degree. I have a lot of FZR stuff. I'm hanging on to my superbike stuff for now. You may find new Yamaha 400 pistons and rings on ebay from time to time, that's how I've bought my last three. I'd buy another to complete my set if anyone has a single (new, 1mm over)piston and ring set out there.

Here is a question for all the current FZR racers out there, How much of an advantage is it to convert to a 17" rear rim? Do 400's have enough power to overwhelm the BT090 150/60/18?

5. FZR

FZR Active Member

The motor was rebuilt by me a long time ago, maybe 2009? It has been stored properly and started every now and then. I will be cleaning the carbs right before someone comes to buy it, I suspect the pilot jets are clogged to some degree. I have a lot of FZR stuff. I'm hanging on to my superbike stuff for now. You may find new Yamaha 400 pistons and rings on ebay from time to time, that's how I've bought my last three. I'd buy another to complete my set if anyone has a single (new, 1mm over)piston and ring set out there.

Here is a question for all the current FZR racers out there, How much of an advantage is it to convert to a 17" rear rim? Do 400's have enough power to overwhelm the BT090 150/60/18?

6. FZR

FZR Active Member

7. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I'm seein' double, wait, make that triple.......

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

FZR, I run the 090 18" on my stock 1990.No problems what so ever.

9. FZR

FZR Active Member

Sorry for the long delay checking back in, and thanks for the reply. I was a picky racer and mechanic. Regarding my question about 17" VS 18" rear rims. I would guess the 17" tires would be more forgiving while leaned over because of the taller more flexible sidewalls, Any thoughts or opinions on this?

10. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

18's are not a problem

Stock FZR is 50-52 hp factory rating. I had a 1mm over engine, hindle, flatslides, cams, and made 68hp.

My RS125 made 43-44hp at the rear wheel, weighed half of the 400 and ran on a 17" slick the size of most modern fronts :)

17" had much better rubber selections years ago ( long long long ago) lol...

I think the newer B-stones will suffice

11. FZR

FZR Active Member

Thanks for the input. My superbike had PM wheels 3.5 on a 93GSXR usd front end 5"rear. That thing was a totally different machine to ride. 2004 was my only WERA year. I loved V6LW! Anyone out there on the track in the mid atlantic or southeast regions during 2004? My ride then was my "TZR"400 superbike.

12. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Nice bike.. I still race mine. I'm running TX250 wheels with 160 rear slick, works great. I too have the same 1mm piston.. Looking for new Pistons now, or upgrade to a 490.. But my somewhat stocker puts out good power now.
    Good luck with sale, I'll pass this one on to a friend of mine looking.

13. FZR

FZR Active Member

If the red bike in the pic is your FZR I'd like to see more pics, and thanks for getting the word out on my machine. I'd love to see this thing in action

14. FZR

FZR Active Member

Hi guys, anyone out there have any good take offs for my bike? I would prefer 003 front and 090 rear, this seems to be the hot set up. Thanks, Jason

15. FZR

FZR Active Member

If anyone out there is interested in this bike I'll consider offers. I know it will serve the right rider very well.