1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancestry commercials

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Who are these people who didn't know they were 25% this or that? That means one of your grandparents was 100% this or that (and variations thereof). Other than adoptions or acrimoniously separated families. Is this the majority? I am off in left field? Who is doing the chicken dance vs the Scottish reel?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That the one where the guy gets his DNA checked and then goes all in on being a scot instead of a nigerian prince or some shit?

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yep. Although I think he was eating bratwurst until he got accurate info.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No way I'm shipping my DNA sample off to some corporation. Do that and one day you'll be walking down the street and come face to face with your clone!

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

God forbid! Ha JK. Seriously, who are these people? Or is it just some marketing bait? Yeah I would never fork over DNA. Not for paranoid tinfoil hat Charlie crap, but for spam. No.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's the under 30 crowd who's enough generations away from actual immigrants that they have no clue. And then there's just the general population who's clueless in general...

7. I'm a Nigerian Canadian American, and a prince when dropping a deuce on my thrown. Send me money.

8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Everybody want to be able to say they are descended from some kind of "royalty", as if that changes their everyday existence.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

To see that totally true statement made by someone called "Past Glory" made me smile. I don't know why.

Past Glory and R Acree like this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Spam is right. Spam with your DNA. Soylent Yzasserina

V5 Racer likes this.
  11. Past Glory

You smacked that softball right out of the park. Nicely done.:beer:

12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol you are demented (that movie was interesting and weird). Back to these people who effectively do not know who their grandparents are. I am not talking about the middle aged lady who discovered some random leaf in prior generations who was part of the suffragette movement. And being part of the millennials is a no go. Your grandparents are still alive. Ah whatever lost interest.

13. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

Me being adopted, I have no knowledge of my past heritage and have always been very interested in it. I've never seen a baby picture of myself and barely know any of my biological family. I would love to unearth my past heritage but sending off a blood sample sounds like a good way to get hepatitis. Or whatever it is you get from unsanitary needles.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

spit sample

your DNA is nothing special. you leave it everywhere all the time. plus, the test only amplifies and tests a tiny portion of your DNA. the rest is just noise in the results. the company that performs the tests really doesnt want the rest of the info anyway. its expensive and time consuming to obtain your whole genome. its even more time consuming to gain any use from it as well.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't think the tests will link you to anyone, they'll just link you to a heritage/nationality. Without at least some sort of clue as to who your biological parents are there's no easy way to determine your familial lineage.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Yet.

But if enough people voluntarily put their DNA on file in a computer somewhere, eventually everyone will be linked to their lineage.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

These can be legally subpoenaed without your consent right now .......

18. Past Glory

Seeing this company and the one called 23(?) makes me have visions of 'Gattaca'.

19. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Ive not seen such programming but..

i think youre underestimating the humane genome project. to say the least.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/ggi/biorepositories.html

there were countless county court houses burned in the south. it could help some folks narrow down where their stock originated I guess.

claim your DNA. then if or when that does happen it would be a trespass.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ud need to genotype everyone in the lineage to have concrete data. gaps in testing would make it difficult to establish a lineage.

plus, we already have that "database". birth records would establish lineage a ton easier than genotyping. nothing new.

what do u mean by underestimate? the Human Genome Project is a huge expensive time-consuming project. Ancestry does not put the same effort into their $100 test and the value of it reflects that.

my wife works in the lab that is running the Ancestry tests. half our friends work in that field at companies that do similar work. we talk about it a lot, haha. i was just trying to give some context about what the Ancestry test actually does compared to what ppl think it does and give reasons why Ancestry/that company doesnt care one bit about your entire genome.