1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint pros, advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Feb 8, 2016.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

No offense but you sound just like a paint rep

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

If he's painting satin black he won't be clear coating or it won't be satin anymore, it would be gloss.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

there are flattening agents for clear.

Whether single stage or base/clear... You still lay your product on wet

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I understand that. But unless I'm mistaken which I very possibly could be as soon as you try to buff a clear it's going to polish up which will make it a gloss. Right? So wouldn't he be better just shooting a satin enamel in the first place and skip clear?

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

yes if you buff flattened clear it will turn out polished. the goal is to lay it down nice so you don't have to. Even cheap flat single stage will Polish... It will be ugly as fuck... But it will

6. ped

ped Banned

Its not a marketing thing, Cortez. Low solid clear is easier to spray cause it has more solvent. You don't need high gloss expensive shit for racebikes anyway.

So if you got a cheap gun - get cheap clear (production, spot, low-solids, etc) and you'll have an easier time.

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That's what I'm doing, satin enamel. That's what I was gonna use on the truck too.

Related question - I keep reading to wash the surface with soap and water, and then hit it with wax and grease remover prior to painting. Is that a specific necessity or can I use mineral spirits or acetone?

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It's ALL in the prep.

Do you want it perfect? Then spend the extra time.

Any chemicals can also give a peel surface.

I did some one time on a guys bike he always cleaned with wd40. I finally said fuck it and got him a new set.

He had wrecked and the wd got in the fibers and literally KILLED me

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I didn't mean it in a time spent way, I meant should I use a product labeled as "wax and grease remover" or is mineral spirits going to do the same thing?

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I sanded the fairings down with a random orbital sander using 400 grit to remove old paint and crud. Then hand sanded with 600, washed with soap and water, wiped off with a lint free rag and windex and then used a tack cloth and painted.

11. ped

ped Banned

old paint is the best substrate. leave that shit on there and just soak them with polyester primer. You can turn the absolute worst goddamn fairings you've ever seen into brand new looking with 1/4 the work. And do it with like 120 grit.

This set of 88 GSXR fairings were covered in rhino liner among about 8 other layers of paint that was halfway scraped off. I didnt finish it, just used poly primer and sanded that smooth.

[​IMG]

If you really want to be cheap you can melt glazing putty in acetone and spray it out of your gun for similar results. Or do the same with actvated body filler....which is where an HF gun comes in handy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

What is polyester primer? Is that just any high build primer?

Does a thick primer surface lend itself to chipping more easily than a thinner one?

13. ped

ped Banned

it's a primer that is cured with MEK like fiberglass resin. It's to urethane high build primers what urethane high build is to a rattle can.

You can remake body lines with it. You have to try to make it run and it doesn't shrink letting you put it on ridiculously heavy.

Don't know about chipping but whenever I use it I reinforce the fairings with extra fiberglass anyway.

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

good job on the paint

wrong on the gun...

15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Polyester primer is sprayable bondo!

2k High build Urethane primer is a thick build primer with catalyst. You can spray t his over 180 grit scratches and it will cover them and you can block sand out all the small imperfections.

2k Urethane primer is much thinner than the high build and it has a catalyst.

16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Oh yeah, building a 67 Chevelle myself!

17. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

If yer not high or drunk while painting, plus painting without a mask... Yer doing it allllll wrong! Send me yer shit and I'll paint it white and put a million stickers on it!