1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MA R6 rule memo. WERA legal?

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Feb 9, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dude are you running more wera than Ma?

Who cares if you're legal for Ma if you're running majority of wera.

3. Why would WERA homologate bikes and then force their paying customers to either buy a new bike or sit at home?

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny that you have to change a bunch of parts to bring an 8 year old bike down to the level of the new ones. I know it was discussed in another thread, but how much of a difference could that really have made? Unless the teams winning races last year were on 2008 bikes, why the need for a rule change?

5. It could have been that some of the teams running towards the front might have been challenged by some guys on 8 year old bikes at one point or another.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Simple - some were using the parts that made a difference on their newer bikes. This whole thing goes back 5 years or so. I have personally seen 2010 or newer bikes apart in tech with the parts mentioned installed (from earlier model year). It just clarifies what has been the rule for some time - the parts on the bike should match the year of the VIN.

ekraft84 likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Older R6 bikes will have to have the part numbers for the newer bikes to be eligible for MA. At the same time, I believe that running the 2012 and up parts on a 2008-2011 R6 would make the bikes ineligible for the WERA SS rules per the WERA rulebook, so that does appear to be a conflict unless I am missing something. I very well may be missing something, as I haven't read the WERA rulebook SS rules that closely for 2016.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah this is kinda why I asked. I have both parts. But was just wondering

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While I would like to keep rules consistent with them we don't do homologation.

Now, updating an 08 to the 2012 is a tough call, our rules say no. I'll have to look at it more.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly why we don't allow updating or backdating of parts. They have to be stock on that model year machine.

11. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

About the only one I would ask you about specifically would be the ECU. Wouldnt a flash tuned ECU, or YEC effectively be the "same" definition of modification?

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On things we already allow to be changed the year is a moot point.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The 08 stacks and accompanying parts being the preferred setup on '09+ R6s is not new information. I would guess Vic was looking for that, during GNF teardowns.

cajun636 likes this.
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Homologation isn't what I was really talking about but you get the gist of it. The Airbox swap stuff was what I meant really.

I was wondering about his also. What does the 12 ECU do that the 08+ doesn't

15. My R6 isn't SS legal by anybody's rules, so I really don't have a dog in the fight. But from what I understand of WERA's rules, as long as your R6 is an '08, then that stuff is fine. It is when you start installing parts that were specific to the '08 on your '12.

If it came on the bike/model, it is fine. But you can't swap stuff like that. At least that is how I remember it.

Sorta like how you can run the Forged Marchesinis that come on the 1299S and be perfectly SS legal. But you can't buy a base model 1299 and then change the wheels to the Forged ones from an S. They didn't come on THAT bike, so doing so would render it SB only.

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Nothing. As a matter of fact, the settings in that ECU would not be optimized for the 08 airbox at all and would nullify any advantage.

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ahhh Ok. I thought one advantage was that the 12's you could change the slipper settings and some other stuff.

I just looked and the weird part is, I have one set of 2012 harness/airbox/TB combo.... that one has larger velocity stacks. I would have figured it was the opposite. And as it turns out, I thought that I had a 12 ECU but I don't I have 08 and 2 09's. Anyone wanna trade lol

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Some of the year/model cross-swap rules are perplexing as to intent.

19. rhouck

rhouck wat?

I thought I read that the 2012+ ecu was faster? I thought I read that in the context of FTecu traction control and that it needed the faster ecu, but I could easily be 100% wrong here. Are there no hardware differences between the part numbers, just what's flashed on?

20. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

That's my understanding too. I was sourcing an ecu for my teammate and he was specifically told by the person he was using for his flash (not FTecu traction control) that it had to be a 2012+ ecu because it has greater processing speed and/or capabilities. Maybe Rick can chime in here.