1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pit bull attack

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A now it's your insurance making the call not you? Sure.

I'm not defending one breed, I'm defending them all if you pay attention. A logical person realizes the dogs aren't the issue the humans are. An illogical one keeps arguing because the google has lots of reports of pit bull attacks.

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

No, my insurance company is not making the call. They simply agree with me based on actuarial science. The truth of the matter is that I judge the worthiness of potential tenants on a variety of factors. I have been doing this for a long time. The type of dog a potential renter owns tells me something about them, as does what they drive, how they dress, how their children behave, etc, etc.
    Of course, given the difficulty of obtaining insurance on the gulf coast, the insurance company could indeed dictate my choices.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I see what you're getting at (dog is a conscious being, motorcycle is an inanimate object), but in the real world, both the motorcycle and the dog are products of the people that own/train/operate them. Neither will hurt anything if handled correctly but both can be extremely dangerous in the wrong/inexperienced hands. Lesson #1 if you're going to own a powerful dog is "don't leave it unattended around small people, strange people, or people you don't trust".

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ah, just like my Harley Davidson statement on the previous page :D

5. nigel smith

Contrary to popular opinion, you can almost always judge a book by it's cover.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

True. It's probably wrong, but I read all of your posts in an English accent.

scottn likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then why did you in the post I quoted try to place blame for your dog choices on the insurance company?

I'm not even going to bother with the whole actuarial science silliness. Plenty of people already showed that labeling dogs at pit bulls when they are not is rampant.

SCHMITTY91 likes this.
  8. nigel smith

You are going to have to point out the portion of my post blaming the insurance company. I simply presented a fact regarding insurance company policy. This is not the first time you have found meanings in words that are simply not there. If my meaning is unclear, simply ask. I'll explain my intent.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My post (typo and all) - "They can go after you for anything - I know that better than most and why we have company as well as personal insurance. You can lose your insurance for have small vicious beasts too. So why not ban all animals? You're the one who has chosen to not allow dogs you think are evil, it's ridiculous since all of your arguments against them can be used for other animals as well. However those are allowed by you..."

Your response to that post - "My insurance company has a breed specific list of unacceptable dogs, plus a catchall clause that lets them make individual calls. Pit bulls are not the only dog on the list. If someone shows up to lease a property with a surly, snarling golden retriever, they will not be renting from me. I don't need to take the chance, however slight. If someone shows up with a tiger wearing a cute hat, should I make the decision to place that animal in close proximity to bystanders? This conversation is likely endless, but simply Google pit bull attacks and then do the same for any other breed. A logical person, one not afflicted with an emotional need to defend a particular breed of animal, can draw only one conclusion."

You quoted me. If you aren't responding to what I posted and just want to try and change the subject from your emotional choices to actuarial science (I love that term :D) then by all means go for it, however quoting me indicates you are responding to my post.

If you truly were taking no chances because of actuarial science you wouldn't allow pets at all. After all, to quote you directly "I don't need to take the chance, however slight." You allow other pets so you do take those chances.

10. nigel smith

God damn that's some convoluted shit! Have you ever testified before a congressional committee?

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Convoluted? You're the one telling me you quoted a post of mine yet nothing you posted below that quote actually had anything to do with my post - and I'm the convoluted one?

Do you usually just say things when talking to others than have nothing to do with what they were saying or do you save that for here?

Normal people - "my what a pretty day today"
    NS - "You know that house I saw two weeks ago really could use a new roof"
    Normal people - "WTF???"

Are you related to my wife by any chance? She does that whole change of subject mid conversation too.

12. nigel smith

Follow along. You did indeed mention insurance in your post. I responded with a fact about my insurance company. You, not I, then ascribed my motivation to that fact. We all know that you are far and away the smartest guy in the room, but I tend to doubt that you can discern my motivation from a brief written paragraph in which I did not explicitly spell it out. You win. Your head is harder than mine. Please accept my unconditional surrender.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did follow along, you tried to pull a dung beetle and it failed ;)

14. nigel smith

I'm quite sure that, even to him, it's perfectly obvious that you know more about my motivation than I myself do.

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Does Nigel hate the breed? Or does he merely have concerns about it based on personal experience and research?

Pits can do serious damage very easily, have all to often been trained to fight, and are owned by an atypically large number of morons. The same is true with a few other breeds as well.

I don't hate the breed at all, but I would never own one especially if I had kids.

MELK-MAN and omatter34 like this.
  16. SCHMITTY91

SCHMITTY91 Well-Known Member

very vicious... plotting his next kill perhaps? seriously sweetest dog i have ever owned and i take him everywhere in public with me just to show people not all pit bulls are bad. It amazes me the amount of people that cross the street so they don't have to walk beside him when all he wants is to be pet.

Attached Files:

17. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Also, they are the most abused and neglected breed out there. All the skewed views and dip shits think they are trash...well I tell you they will outperform, smarter and loving than any dog I have owned or came across.

And the ones that have been trained to fight and abused still have the compassion and love to change and be rehabbed into a perfectly normal family pet....
    So as I said to Nigel.... go meet one and see for yourself they are BIG FAT BABIES..... And the Kids thing is entirely UNTRUE as they are known for the long history of being Nanny Dogs...
    My wife had a lady say that her dog doesn’t like Pit Bulls and all my female wanted to do is say hell and play... that’s what idiots do that don't know dogs or pits...

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How thoughtful of you.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Haven't read the entire tread yet, but bingo. A lot of reported attacks are not by the American Pit Bull Terrier.
    Take this test....bet most of ya burn up 5 attempts before you pick it out. http://web.archive.org/web/20130810055544/http:/www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Also, 'pit bull' isn't a breed.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My girl is always dressing up ours...
    [​IMG]