1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1/R1M recall?

Discussion in 'General' started by stk0308, Nov 25, 2015.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

you're right... what could go wrong? :confused:

2. MINE

MINE Member

That's funny, I was told I could take mine home and I could ride it as long as I wasn't aggressive on it. Two different dealers and Yamaha Customer rep all said the same thing. I also have an issue starting it it's Colder than 45. My back tire is trashed after 2600 miles. One side ok, the other has cords showing. I keep getting excuses that make them look stupid for saying them.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What does you wearing out your rear tire have to do with it?

4. MINE

MINE Member

It's stupid I have these issues on a new bike. I can't trade it in because now the transmission parts are on back order. You can't say that wear on my tire is common.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Depends on how you ride the bike.

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Assuming you're using the stock RS10's on the street at a moderate pace, they should've been on the cords at around 2k. Consider yourself lucky to get that much mileage on them.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. MINE

MINE Member

I am not aggressive, I wasn't spinning the tires, I Check the air religiously and i am not stuntin. I literally rode 42 miles and stopped for gas and there was a groove on the left side of the tire. Chunks of tire all over swing arm and rim. I was told it was the grooves in the road but I spent 15 years in a payrol car, numerous accidents and roadway investigatons. I know every tire will wear differently and sometimes you don't always know the answer. I understand if I was track riding every weekend but i want this bike to last and I don't want to wreck it so I'm not crazy. Two month tomorrow is how long I haven't had it. I read R1 had an update on May 25 that took care of the battery issue I was having. It's a shitty feeling when the bike doesn't start and now lives on a battery tender so I know it will start. Their excuse for that now is the engine is huge so there is nothing to do about it. I guess I'm expecting more when you pay that much for a sport bike

8. MINE

MINE Member

9. MINE

MINE Member

Then how would a guy I Ride with, has the same bike, rides more aggressively than I do, has 3100 with no cords looks like will need a tire soon but looks nothing like mine. Are you going to tell me the tire don't really come round from the manufacturer. That was the other excuse. If the R1 comes with a tire that cappy of a tie then put something else on it or give options. I wasnt expecting 5 thousand miles but it shouldn't have a grove in it in. I'll post photos

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Call b-stone. I had a customer with weird tire wear issues on his Stratoliner and they hooked him up with a new tire.

11. MINE

MINE Member

I am doing that monday. I don't care about paying for a new tire, I know we all didn't pay to have issues like this. I told Yamaha that if they put another tire on it and it wears the same then I'll pay for the tire. I was looking to see if anyone else was having the battery issue that doesn't have the R1M.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Battery issue?

13. MINE

MINE Member

I live in Arizona, in October it went below 45 degrees and it was in a unattached garage. I went to start it, I rode the night before for about 40 minutes. The battery did not have the juice to kick it over. I had to jump it and it stated right up. I figured, maybe there was something drawing power and I Rode it a mile to the gas station shut it down and it started just fine. Went about two weeks and it happened again. I took it to the dealership and they wanted me to pay 85 Bucks to test charging system. The only reason I went back there is because I bought it there. I was told the motor is big and I'll have thatbissuw was

14. MINE

MINE Member

15. MINE

MINE Member

Now I have attached cables to the battery and the bike sits on a battery tender when ever it's parked

16. ped

ped Banned

It's totally common. Actually if anything it's kinda high mileage for a 1k. Expect 2k.

Or got to sport touring tires for 4.5k

17. ped

ped Banned

You're going to destroy the battery doing that. It's not the 80's, you don't have some cheap flooded battery that self-discharges.

And you so much as gas a sealed batt even a little, which a tender will do, it's toast.

It's maintainance free for a reason.

Save yourself the years of internet baffoonery now and admit you were already throwing a tender to it in the first place. Don't tell me you weren't either.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

You just need to fully charge it once and you should be good. Myself, and a lot of other guys on various forums, had the battery died as well. The fix was to either have the dealer charge it or or do it yourself and you should be good. For some reason people were finding partiality drained batteries coming with the bikes. Or, you turned the key too far and left it in park instead of lock.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

You don't know what you're talking about.

The battery prep was probably rushed during the PDI or the shop left the battery off the tender too long. As stated you can use a proper charger and see if you can get it back. Yuasa makes Damn good batteries so I doubt it's actual battery issue. Shitty prep by the dealer is what's usually the issue.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

A battery tender puts out between 1&1/2 to 2 amps .. No way are you going to boil or over cook a battery . Even if left on 24-7

TLR67 and BigBird like this.