1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull damper slop

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, Jan 5, 2016.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I picked this unit up used to replace the stocker that was on my bike. It's the older style that required me drilling out the frame and top triple which isn't a big deal to me. After install I noticed it has free play or slop in it before the oil would begin resisting. I sent it into Pitbull who rebuilt it and it's no different. Feels like it has air in it but with a fresh rebuild that is unlikely. Videos were taken with the damper all the way stiff and are just to show how loose it is before it starts working. Thoughts or opinions?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not seeing anything you'd ever notice riding it.

3. mike-guy

Really? I only am concerned because GPRs I have had on other bikes would create resistance instantly.

4. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Pit Bull after the rebuild? They have very good customer service and may be able to help you with this.

5. mike-guy

I haven't yet. I agree their customer service is excellent. Planning to get someone on the phone and ask them to pull up these videos but everyday when I remember to call they are all gone for the day. I'll be on this tomorrow for sure and will report back.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email them a link to this thread, George will answer as soon as he can.

7. mike-guy

The guys at PitBull agreed that something isn't right. They are sending me a shipping label and will be fixing or replacing it. Really a top notch company that stands behind their products!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. mike-guy

I received my damper back from Pitbull. They thought the only cause could be I didn't tighten mounting bolts enough or my hole are oversized. The holes are actually undersized since I have to almost thread the bolts in but still use nylon locking nuts on them. Youtube decided to play with my video for some reason but this clearly shows me turning it to all the way stiff and the center rod off the damper doesn't move while the head unit and brackets on upper triple do. I am going to put this on a friends bike and see if it does it on his. As of right now the mystery continues.

9. TWH

TWH Well-Known Member

I do not have this issue with the same damper/mount. Something is amiss with your setup.

10. mike-guy

I met up with a friend who has the same damper on a daytona 675 and his did the same thing. He races it and claims has never noticed it. I want to tell myself I'm over reacting and it's nothing to worry about but my GPRs never did this and I don't want to travel 3 hours and spend time/money on a race weekend to find out it's an issue. Also I know and agree dampers aren't a solution but at times I am unable to resolve headshake without them.

11. mike-guy

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ohlins linear damper with fork mount. problems solved..

13. mike-guy

I can PM you my shipping address if your handing them out

14. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Hey Mike. I asked Charlie V to take a look at this and one of us will get back with you shortly. Charlie designed the steering stabilizer and all of the mounting brackets so I'm sure he'll have a solution for us soon.

15. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Sorry for threadjack, Melkman is there any way to convert regular topmount ohlins (which sucks) to alternate triple clamp/ fork tube mount or do you need longer stroke?

16. MELK-MAN

i'm pretty sure that linear ohlins unit is the same damper be it top mount (on triple clamp) or the out of the way fork/ram air mount. Ya just need the fork mount bracket and "L" bracket that attaches to the side of the ram air duct. I think graves sells em

17. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

^ Doesn't he have a GSXR?

18. MELK-MAN

man, sorry. i just assume everyone rides an r6 ;) the ohlins linear damper should be same though regardless of where it's mounted. I think.

19. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

They should ;) The GSXR linear mount is super easy, thought. No brackets needed (on most late models).

20. mike-guy

Ok so I sent it all in again this time with my upper triple. Just got a call that they are sending me a new bracket in belief that mine having the screw in hinge is causing the play. I haven't received it yet obviously but I just want to update this saying that these guys are really doing me a great service dealing with my whiny bullshit.